Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Moving from 3gs to 4 question

Default Moving from 3gs to 4 question
    I am very new to jailbreaking, I just did my first jailbreak on my 3gs with iOs 4.3.3. I bought a few cydia apps and I also have purchased app store apps. Today, I was given an iPhone 4 and I am going to switch to it and give my sister my old phone. My question is this: can I easily backup my jailbroken settings and apps from my 3gs and transfer it to my 4? or would it be better to start fresh?

I am assuming that a fresh start is probably better just so it wont possibly transfer any issues, but if I do that is there some way to get my purchased cydia apps onto it? If this has been answered before could someone just link the answer page? I have had little luck finding a good answer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadpony View Post
    I am very new to jailbreaking, I just did my first jailbreak on my 3gs with iOs 4.3.3. I bought a few cydia apps and I also have purchased app store apps. Today, I was given an iPhone 4 and I am going to switch to it and give my sister my old phone. My question is this: can I easily backup my jailbroken settings and apps from my 3gs and transfer it to my 4? or would it be better to start fresh?

I am assuming that a fresh start is probably better just so it wont possibly transfer any issues, but if I do that is there some way to get my purchased cydia apps onto it? If this has been answered before could someone just link the answer page? I have had little luck finding a good answer.
    I'd recommend starting from scratch on the new iPhone 4.

For the purchased apps, once you log into Cydia on the new phone, you should see a "Manage Account" button on the front page of Cydia. Log in with the Facebook or Google account you used to purchase the apps on your 3GS, and Cydia should have the list of the apps you purchased for free re-download.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadpony View Post
    Thanks so much for the quick reply!
    We aim to please.

NOTE: You can transfer non-jailbreak (App Store) apps, music, movies, etc. over through iTunes. I'd just advise against clicking "Restore from backup" if/when iTunes asks "Do you want to set up as a new device or restore from backup?"