Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: best version to upgrade to, from jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.1?

Default best version to upgrade to, from jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.1?
    Hi all,

I have a purchased (meaning carrier unlocked) iPhone 4 handset which is still on the original iOS 4.1 from when I bought it (it's jailbroken of course).. I'm thinking it's time I upgraded it to a newer version of iOS... basically I have in mind to take advantage of the AirPrint facility.

My question is, is it worth going through the hassle of upgrading at all? I don't need AirPlay because I can use a program called Air Video to stream stuff from my WD My Book Live NAS drive which serves my purpose. And If there's a program that can allow me to print on my (non-Airprint) network HP printing, by installing a printer server on my Windows or MacBook, then I guess I don't need Airprint either. Is there such a program? And are there any other convincing reasons to upgrade?

And if there, which is the overall best version (jailbroken obviously) to upgrade to, at this point of time?

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you don't find any of the new features in 4.2.1 then there's nothing wrong with staying on 4.1. As far as I know there weren't too many differences besides the air play, air print, and all that jazz. You might consider upgrading to 4.3.3 though, I heard the new Safari is quite impressive on it.

The best way to jailbreak is to use Redsn0w. But you said your phone is unlocked, I am not clear on whether when you say "carrier unlocked" if you mean it was unlocked by your carrier making it factory unlocked or if you meant that it is software unlocked via jailbreak+ultrasn0w.

If you're not factory unlocked you need to use Sn0wbreeze to create a 4.3.3 custom firmware to restore to. If you're factory unlocked, just upgrade to 4.3.3 and use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to jb.

i.Annie,

Thanks for the reply. I meant to say that my handset was factory unlocked, assuming that's the term used for an iPhone purchased from a retailer, which was never locked to a carrier to begin with. I'd used the limera1n exploit to jailbreak the 4.1 firmware. IIRC, I didn't have to use ultrasn0w.

So if I follow you correctly I just upgrade to 4.3.3 and use resn0w 0.9rc16 to jailbreak? Is this jailbreak reported to work without problems?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok yes it is factory unlocked. Since you are factory unlocked, its very easy. Just as you said, upgrade to stock 4.3.3 and use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to jailbreak.

This jailbreak is untethered and should work fine

Be sure to download the stock 4.3.3 firmware rather than just hitting "upgrade" in iTunes, unless you know where the ipsw is stored. That way you can find the firmware again to use when you jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If using windows, run redsn0w in xp compatabilty mode

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skiptowncat For This Useful Post:

mackintosh (2011-05-21)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If running windows 7, in particular. I think it should be fine on Vista.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

mackintosh (2011-05-21)

Thank you for your help and advice, friends.

My brother just visited with his new iPod 4G Touch running iOS 4.2.1. I offered to upgrade it to firmware 4.3.3 and jailbreak it for him. Maybe I'll get a better idea after using his device, whether I want to upgrade mine or not.

I'm guessing the improvements - not having to do with the phone functionality of the iPhone - will be consistent in both devices as they're both the same generation(?)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I would assume both devices will have similar quality and use of the iOS 4.3.3. Though iPod Touch and iPhones don't always have the same capabilities in regards to the software functionality.

I upgraded my brother's iPod from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3 without any problems. I think (although I'm not totally sure) that I forget to set the compatibility for the jailbreak program to XP on my Win 7 laptop, but it worked fine all the same.

Although I didn't use his device extensively after jailbreaking it, I didn't find any utterly convincing reason to upgrade from iOS 4.1 on my iPhone at the moment, so I've decided to skip it for now.

Thanks to i.Annie and skiptowncat for their input!