Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about baseband and service

Default Question about baseband and service
    I've got a 16GB 3G that is on ver 3.1.2 using AT&T as the carrier. Baseband is now 05.11.07. When I got it, it was on 3.0.1 and I would get a very weak signal in the apartment. I upgraded to 3.1.2 shortly after and the 3G signal was perfect. I then jailbroke it using redsnow. All this occured back in 09.

Just 2 weeks ago, my phone started getting no service in the apartment unless it was placed up against a door or window. My friend who is also on AT&T has the same 3G model and he is on 4.2.1 and doesn't get signal in the apartment either.

I looks like upgrading to 4.2.1 won't make a difference, and therefore not worth the time to backup, restore, update, then jail break.

Any ideas on what I can do to get my signal back to where it once was? What could AT&T changed that caused this to happen? It works great as soon as I step out of the apartment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

It could due to your nearby cell towers or some kind of renovations in your apartment that blocks out the signal. You can call up ATNT and find out if they are doing some works on the cell towers in your area.

According to the property owner, no changes have been made to the building itself. I'll give AT&T a call. Would changing the baseband make a difference?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

It may or maynot, can't really tell you the answer. You can restore to stock 3.1.3 which will give you an updated but still unlockable baseband, if you ever need to unlock.

It is almost Summer time, trees can have some effects on signal as well.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-05-18 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What is the best way to update to 3.1.3 on this jailbroken phone? Itunes?
    Last edited by dpapag; 2011-05-18 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpapag View Post
    What is the best way to update to 3.1.3 on this jailbroken phone? Itunes?
    I don't see how people still run that really old stuff.

Make a custom 4.2.1 ipsw and preserve your baseband if you like. I preserve mine even whilst on AT&T for resale purposes.

After that go to AT&T and tell them that you drop calls while at home and it's a problem. My GF's mom had the same problem and they GAVE her one of the Micro Cell boosters for her house.