Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brand new isues.

iPhone? More like MyPhone AmadeusKaelPyralis's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Brand new isues.
    So, I purchased a brand new iPhone 3GS for my wife. It came with 4.2.1 so I restored it 4.2.1 and jailbroken with Greenpois0n. The battery only seemed to last about two days with light to moderate use... which was an issue. Also, the WiFi seemed to drop even on a stable connection. Anyway, I upgraded to 4.3.3. and jailbroke with redsn0w to see if maybe the iOS was the issue. No real change, seemed to go in about two days (now keep in mind ALL settings were turned down or off and always setup as a new phone, never from back-up). We took the phone to Apple for a replacement and after a rather rude "There's nothing wrong with it but we will replace it anyway" rep., we took it home.

This new 3GS was running 4.3.1 and we decided to upgrade the iOS to 4.3.3 and not jailbreak to see if that may have been the cause of the battery drainage. Seems worse... in fact with very light use she killed the battery in less than 24 hours.

Apple is having me run a battery test (run the iPod, all settings at moderate, from full charge to empty and mark the time) which may or may not turn out-- we all know what that Apple rep., said at the store.

I've had a 3G before, and now a 4, and with heavy use I got 2+ days worth of use from them both... so for this 3GS to give one... MAYBE two days of power is quite ridiculous. I had good luck on my iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1 and my 3G with 3.1.2... maybe that is what this little 3Gs needs? Is that even possible (also keep in mind this an MC model 55 (week made))? Or, any fixes for the battery life?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

The iphone they replaced is usually preowned and could have been heavily used and recharged many times. You could have gotten a weak battery on the replacement iphone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

AmadeusKaelPyralis (2011-05-20)

Thanks

That is not helpful,lol. They replaced it out of the kindness of their heart meaning I gave up a brand new model for a used one?! Heads will roll I say!! (any way to find that out, by the way?).
    ~Lord A. Pyralis
    "A knight in shining armour is one who has not had his metal truly tested"

Thanks

Iphone 4 has a longer battery life than a 3gs. My 3gs when not in use will last me maybe 4 to 5 days. You must also make sure that no apps is running in the background on your iphone which will drain out your battery.

Thanks

Granted, but the wife hates the iPhone 4 design and wanted a 3 (G or GS... GS was all they had left).

So, then, is it possible the iOS could be causing this? Like I said, I had great performance on my 3G when I was on 3.1.2 limera1n. I've read a myriad of issues in various places that 4.3.x seems to be a battery killer... then again that does happen in some units and some iOS versions (2.2.1, etc). Is it possible to restore to a 3.1.2 on a 3GS?

Thanks

Look at the front page of Cydia or plug your iPhone in your computer, run tiny umbrella and click save shsh. If you see 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 blobs, then you can.

Thanks

Tiny Umbrella escapes me on how to use it. And yes, I've read articles on how to use it. I cannot understand and I do not understand why.

This new phone is not currently jailbroken, and if I never broke it on 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 then how would I have SHSH blobs for it.

Thanks

Did you know you can actually ask Cydia to start saving your shsh blob the day you receive your iphone without even jailbreaking it.
    When you run tiny umbrella, with bootable iphone plugged in and clicked save shsh, cydia will start saving shsh blob at the time apple is signing the firmware and all future shsh, that is how the message " Make my life easier meant " when you first open up Cydia.
    However , if you did this tiny umbrella save thing first, then you will not see this message after you jailbreak your idevice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I did not know that, but it still would be irrelevant since I did not start doing that way back in Firmwares.
    Well, I rejailbroke her 4.3.3 and Cydia did not ask to make my life easier but does tell me I have SHSH blobs for 4.1 and 4.3 Soooooo, I have TinyUmbrella, I have downloaded all firmwares from 3.1.2 to 4.3.3. I tried to restore to all of them and it keeps telling me each time the iPhone's firmware is not compatible. It IS the correct version from MMI, that I promise you. What is going on?!

Thanks

You are talking about 3gs right ? It has a silver logo on its back and has the video option.

A 3g has a dull apple logo

What is the extension of the file name you downloaded ? It must have this .ipsw
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-05-20 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes, it is a 3Gs, silver apple, came brand new in a 3Gs box and updated to the 4.3.3 3Gs firmware. And yes, when I downloaded 3.1.2, 4.1, 4.2.1 and 4.3.3 firmwares I renamed the extension to .IPSW. They are firmwares, redsno0w recognizes them as firmwares... but the phone will not downgrade even though Cydia tells me 4.1 SHSH blobs are saved.

What is going on, I thought with SHSH blobs saved you could downgrade?

Thanks

If you want to downgrade to 4.1, you have to download 4.1 blob onto your computer using tiny umbrella and start TSS server while you are doing your restore so that your 4.1 firmware can be verified.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nevermind. The issue has been found. An errant App has been draining her power. I cleared the phone of all Apps leaving only We Rule and Facebook (the two we both share use of, so I know they do not do anything terrible). After 12 hours she has only lost 10% with light WiFi use and app use along with text messaging.

I will leave her at 4.3.3 for now, no sense in downgrading if we can jailbreak her now and the issue is not the OS. You are all thanked (both by word and by button) as I appreciate your help (even though it was a completely different issue).

Thanks

Glad you found out your issue