Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem with IOS 4.2.1 custom upgrade to 4.3.3 custom upgrade!

Default Problem with IOS 4.2.1 custom upgrade to 4.3.3 custom upgrade!
    I am not an expert in any way when it comes to JB my Iphone. I jail broke my Iphone with RedSnow about 9 months ago. I jail broke my 3GS New Bootrom to IOS 4.2.1 with BB 6.15. I do not have any SHSH blobs except for 4.2.1. I was using a custom IOS 4.2.1 with bb 6.15 firmware. I recently noticed my battery draining very fast so I changed battery out and the problem was still there. I then began searching my options to fix this problem.
    I have tried to upgrade to IOS 4.3.3 bb 6.15 firmware. I used RedSnow RC16 and installed Cydia and reinstalled Ipad bb. I then used RedSnow to enter DFU mode and then I opened iTunes and tried to do a custom install by holding shift and hitting restore. This is when everything began to go wrong. The restore went until the end and then gave me error. I have received error 3194, 1000, 1601, 1015, 28. I do not recall if I have received any other ones.
    I then tried to downgrade back to my 4.2.1 SHSH. I am not very clear on this process so this could be my whole problem of restoring it back to 4.2.1 custom firmware. I did everything the same as an upgrade except I choose my custom 4.2.1 firmware. I tried many other options that are all posted all over. My phone is currently stuck in with a black screen. I can take the steps to put the phone in DFU mode and I can hear the prompt sounds when connected to computer but I cannot get the Iphone to react. This is probably all out of order so let me tell you what I am trying to accomplish and maybe we can solve it. There are many different things that I tried. At this point I am very confused and my Iphone is stuck ( I believe in DFU mode). I have tried to kick it out, but I read that this is a problem accomplishing this with IOS 4.2.1. I do not have any 4.1 SHSH blobs to restore to so I cannot downgrade (this is my understanding).
    I would like to upgrade from IOS 4.2.1 tethered custom bb6.15 to IOS 4.3.3 untethered custom bb6.15 or at least get my phone back to my functioning IOS 4.2.1. (Prefer the upgrade if possible). I am with AT&T.
    What programs should I use, in what order, and how should I use each program?
    Can you please point me to exact files to use and explain when and where to use them?
    This should hopefully get me going in some direction.

Heres what you do.. Dont go too much by the sounds you hear..
    (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR SHSH FILES SAVED IN TINYUMBRELLA.. CYDIA IS IRRELEVANT, MAKE SURE THEYRE IN TINYUMBRELLA.. AND YOU HAVE CUSTOM HOST FILE) - ask for help with that if you dont know what that is..

Step 1. Connect phone to computer via usb. Then hold home and power for 6 seconds which will turn off the phone. ( You're not aiming for DFU yet)

Step 2. Do the steps for DFU Mode while its off. (Power button for 3 seconds, then power and home for 10, and continue holding home for 15 or so).

Step 3. You should be in DFU, so now run IREB, or redsn0w's option for pwned dfu.. Once its finished and you are in pwned dfu..

step4: Restor to custom ipsw.. or you can do this process again but choose 4.2.1 stock firmware..

Please fill me in on custom host file

Step 2 – Editing Hosts File
    Now we are going to redirect iTunes from Apple Servers to Saurik’s server.

————————————

Windows:

Go to C:WindowsSystem32driversetc and locate hosts file.
    Open and edit the hosts file in Notepad.

NOTE: Win 7 and Vista users MUST run Notepad with admin privileges. Right click on Notepad app and select Run as Administrator.

Mac OS X:

Go to etc directory and locate hosts file. Copy it on your desktop
    Open the hosts file in TextEdit.

————————————

Add the following line at the end of the hosts file and then save and close the file:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Mac OS X users needs to copy the edited hosts file from desktop back to /etc/ directory and replace the older one.

Sources: iPhonecream.com

(hit the thanks button)

I tried all of this and it did not work. I call Apple support and they took me through all of the step and determined that I am stuck in DFU mode and am unable to get into recovery mode. I tried tinyumbrella and it does not give me an option to enter or exit recovery, only fix recovery. I fix it then nothing happens. It is still under warranty and they said that it would take 3-5 days to fix. I have tried every trick to reboot it with no success.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddyholly77 View Post
    I tried all of this and it did not work. I call Apple support and they took me through all of the step and determined that I am stuck in DFU mode and am unable to get into recovery mode. I tried tinyumbrella and it does not give me an option to enter or exit recovery, only fix recovery. I fix it then nothing happens. It is still under warranty and they said that it would take 3-5 days to fix. I have tried every trick to reboot it with no success.
    It's stuck in pwnd DFU mode or Error 28 needs to have the battery removed.

I have yet to brick an iPhone in my case.

1. Remove the battery for a few min.

2. Put in pwnd DFU mode again and Shift+Restore in iTunes to a CUSTOM 4.2.1 ipsw.

It should work after that....

@buddyholly77
    Have you try use redsnow to place device in DFU? Once youre in DFU, click on TSS open itune ( latest ver.) shift/restore and point to the custom firmware you've created 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 which ever you decide. Remember you open redsnow and select " DFU" now, go thru the steps of placing device in dfu, then proceed to TU to restore don'l even mess with host file, better yet undo what ever you did to the host file, TU does all that for you!!!
    Last edited by Neil001; 2011-05-17 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks

They're going to know that it was messed with... I would just fix it yourself and be done with it...

Tried and the iPhone was still in DFU mode after unhooking battery and replacing as instructed.

I would love to fix it myself. I just cannot get the darn thing into recovery mode as long as it is stuck in DFU mode.
    Last edited by buddyholly77; 2011-05-17 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Have you tried to run a Shift+Restore since removing the battery?

Stuck in DFU mode isn't the end of it...

Yes, I am trying even option that is giving to me. Do you have any suggestions?

I am up and running on untethered 4.3.3 custom bb6.15. I used RedSnow rc16 to first try and boot tethered. It then tries to reboot tethered and froze on pineapple logo. At this point I began to proceed with snowbreeze 2.7.3 and went through all of the proper steps for doing the 4.2.1 upgrade to untethered 4.3.3 bb6.15 custom. The phone is working great. Wish I would of thought about trying to boot tethered 2 days ago. Thanks to everyone that helped. It kept me motivated to solve it.
    Last edited by buddyholly77; 2011-05-17 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am not an expert in any way when it comes to JB my Iphone. I jail broke my Iphone with RedSnow about 9 months ago. I jail broke my 3GS New Bootrom to IOS 4.2.1 with BB 6.15. I do not have any SHSH blobs except for 4.2.1. I was using a custom IOS 4.2.1 with bb 6.15 firmware. I recently noticed my battery draining very fast so I changed battery out and the problem was still there. I then began searching my options to fix this problem.
    I have tried to upgrade to IOS 4.3.3 bb 6.15 firmware. I used RedSnow RC16 and installed Cydia and reinstalled Ipad bb. I then used RedSnow to enter DFU mode and then I opened iTunes and tried to do a custom install by holding shift and hitting restore. This is when everything began to go wrong. The restore went until the end and then gave me error. I have received error 3194, 1000, 1601, 1015, 28. I do not recall if I have received any other ones.
    I then tried to downgrade back to my 4.2.1 SHSH. I am not very clear on this process so this could be my whole problem of restoring it back to 4.2.1 custom firmware. I did everything the same as an upgrade except I choose my custom 4.2.1 firmware. I tried many other options that are all posted all over. My phone is currently stuck in with a black screen. I can take the steps to put the phone in DFU mode and I can hear the prompt sounds when connected to computer but I cannot get the Iphone to react. This is probably all out of order so let me tell you what I am trying to accomplish and maybe we can solve it. There are many different things that I tried. At this point I am very confused and my Iphone is stuck ( I believe in DFU mode). I have tried to kick it out, but I read that this is a problem accomplishing this with IOS 4.2.1. I do not have any 4.1 SHSH blobs to restore to so I cannot downgrade (this is my understanding).
    I would like to upgrade from IOS 4.2.1 tethered custom bb6.15 to IOS 4.3.3 untethered custom bb6.15 or at least get my phone back to my functioning IOS 4.2.1. (Prefer the upgrade if possible). I am with AT&T.
    What programs should I use, in what order, and how should I use each program?
    Can you please point me to exact files to use and explain when and where to use them?
    This should hopefully get me going in some direction.
    You have to restore and upgrade then use redsnow
    Remember to save your ssh blobs

Thanks

Thanks to everyone that helped. It kept me motivated to solve it.
    Glad you got it going, but you shouldn't have to boot tethered.

I'd do a fresh custom restore on it.

I did do a fresh custom restore. Sorry for the confusion. I only had to boot tethered in order to get unstuck from DFU mode. Then I was able to complete a fresh custom install. Thanks for the clarification.

Currently I am running Untethered IOS 4.3.3 custom BB6.15 with no problems. I am not sure if GPS works, but at this point it is not important.