Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS Will Not Go Into DFU Mode

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3GS Will Not Go Into DFU Mode
    Help!!!! My sisters iphone 3GS was water damaged anyway to cut a long story short i put the phone in a tub with rice sealed it etc.Replaced the Battery phone switches on but its stuck in recovery It will switch off (i dont get the slide to power off option) but the phone will switch back on itunes usb logo straight away again.

I've tried TinyUmbrella it doesnt work also tried iReb which reboots the phone then it goes back to the Usb itunes logo again any ideas?????????

The phone shows error 1015 in itunes

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

With error 1015 just use TinyUmbrella's exit recovery mode to kick it out of recovery mode. If that doesn't work, something else is not right because usually 1015 just indicates a successful restore but baseband change failure (which isn't bad).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply I've tried tiny umbrella I click to kick it out of recovery mode when the iTunes/USB logo is showing but it doesn't seem to do anything.also when the iPhones showing in iTunes it doesn't detect the serial etc. It's also the same when using tinyumbrella it says unknown device is there anything else I could change ??

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Like I said if you're on a firmware that is lower than 4.2.1, meaning you received error 1015 after a restore which indicates a successful restore, and TU doesn't kick it out then there's something else wrong with your phone.

I would really suggest trying to do another restore with a custom firmware. Make a 4.3.3 custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze and use Redsn0w to set into pwned dfu mode, then do the restore.

Don't forget to go into TU and uncheck the box to point to cydia on exit before trying to restore to custom 4.3.3.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks I'll give that a
    Go

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Good luck to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by bettz View Post
    Thanks I'll give that a
    Go

If that doesn't work, when I get error 1015 here's what I do. DFU mode & use tinyumbrella to "Fix Recovery" After u do that it seems like nothing happened but it did. Still in DFU mode w/black screen, just re-jailbreak for wtvr firmware ur on & after it will need to be activated in iTunes. Activate it & restore from previous backup. After that, loader app should be there to install Cydia. Voila, it's all good in da' hood! Lol, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    If that doesn't work, when I get error 1015 here's what I do. DFU mode & use tinyumbrella to "Fix Recovery" After u do that it seems like nothing happened but it did. Still in DFU mode w/black screen, just re-jailbreak for wtvr firmware ur on & after it will need to be activated in iTunes. Activate it & restore from previous backup.After that, loader app should be there to install Cydia. Voila, it's all good in da' hood! Lol, good luck.

The trouble is I can't get into dfu mode. I've tried all sorts of solutions but all I get is the apple logo on booting up then it goes straight to the iTunes/USB screen. Ive tried using snowbreeze and redsn0w but i can't complete the process as it always fails when I try to put it in dfu. It's stuck in a loop

The trouble is I can't get into dfu mode. I've tried all sorts of solutions but all I get is the apple logo on booting up then it goes straight to the iTunes/USB screen. Ive tried using snowbreeze and redsn0w but i can't complete the process as it always fails when I try to put it in dfu. It's stuck in a loop
    How much water? & How long for? Ur problem might be a hardware problem, if u can't enter DFU mode. Either the moisture sensors have been triggered or home button not working. Good luck, I hope u figure it out!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wooohoooo progress.Finally managed to get it to restore using firmware 4.3.3 i just left it going thinking what the heck one last go and it completed .Now i know why it wouldnt go into DFU i noticed the home button is slow responding i have to press it quite hard. I'm going to clean the contacts and order another home button at least its working again

Wooohoooo progress.Finally managed to get it to restore using firmware 4.3.3 i just left it going thinking what the heck one last go and it completed .Now i know why it wouldnt go into DFU i noticed the home button is slow responding i have to press it quite hard. I'm going to clean the contacts and order another home button at least its working again
    Good news! Also use activator until u get ur home button fixed, if u can jailbreak it & install activator u can bypass any malfunctioning buttons temporarily.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's great