Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What should I upgrade my old 3.1.3 3G to?

Question What should I upgrade my old 3.1.3 3G to?
    Hi all

I own a 3G (not 3Gs) on 3.13 and would like to upgrade to a version of 4.x to upgrade my apps that no longer support 3.x. I had once upgraded to 4.0 and my phone was so miserably slow I couldn't stand it. Also, the battery drained so incredibly quick with 4.0. Now that there are several 4.x versions out there, I'm wondering what you experts find works best on the old iPhone 3G.

Also, if someone can point me to a guide to do the upgrade and subsequent jailbreak. Thanks for your help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

4.2.1 is probably best of any iOS 4. 4.1 too but 4.2.1 is the latest for your device so you'll probably want that. I strongly advise to avoid the lag of iOS 4 that you don't enable wallpaper and multitasking.

So do you need to unlock? I can write you up a guide in detail. There's a pretty easy method if you don't need to unlock, but if you do need to unlock I can also help you with that.

Thumbs up thanks
    no I don't need an unlock. As a matter of fact, I just use my iphone basically as a ipod touch.

Thanks so much for the guide.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Oh ok, easy Here we go.

1) Download a stock 4.2.1 ipsw (get it from the Downloads section here)

2) Download Redsn0w 0.9.6rc8, if you can't find that version (seems to be hard to find nowadays) try and find rc12 instead.

3) Make sure your iTunes is updated

4) open iTunes, hold shift and click restore. Browse to the ipsw you downloaded.

5) when upgrade finishes, open redsn0w

6) browse to the same ipsw you used to restore to.

7) select Cydia only. Don't enable wallpaper or multitasking or anything else.

8) follow on-screen prompts to put phone into dfu.

9) when redsn0w finishes you should be able to access your springboard.