Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help jailbreaking Iphone 4 AT&T

Default Need help jailbreaking Iphone 4 AT&T
    I have an Iphone 4 and my service provider is AT&T. My firmware is 4.3.1. I have tried jailbreaking my phone a few times and completed the jailbreak and had cydia on my phone, but none of my information such as photos, contacts, apps, nothing was there. It was as if I had reset my phone, except cydia was present. Also after it was jailbroken I had no service in the top left of my screen and the "AT&T" was non existent as well. I just backed up my phone and reset it back to non-jailbroken. Someone please help because I would like to jailbreak my Iphone 4 successfully and start really enjoying my phone.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Since you aren't needing to unlock, upgrade your phone to 4.3.3, then use Redsn0w on it.

Thank you, but are you sure after I upgrade my firmware and attempt to jailbreak it that all of my info and service appear?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

There's never a 100% guarantee on anything related to jailbreak. I can only tell you what I would do if it were me. I gave you advice based on my personal preference, it's up to you to decide if you feel you want to do it

Ok, but you can't guarantee that my info will be there after the jailbreak? I think I'm going to wait until someone responds saying they know it will work successfully. I only want to do it once and do it right.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I guarantee you your info will get erased You have to back everything up yourself.

Now I'm confused. Before I even start jailbreaking I am going to create a backup of my current working phone so if something goes wrong I can restore it. Is that what you are talking about? Or what?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Whenever you restore or upgrade an iPhone, it puts it back into factory settings. This means that your information gets wiped out. You need to back everything up so you can put it back on the phone after restoring/upgrading. I was referring to if you upgrade to 4.3.3 and then jailbreak. I suggest to do this because the jailbreak on 4.3.3 is untethered, I don't believe they ever released an untethered 4.3.1.

So you'd want to back your stuff up, upgrade to 4.3.3, then jailbreak.

Oh ok so back up my phone before I even upgrade to 4.3.3? Then once I upgrade to the new firmware, attempt jailbreaking?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes. Do you know how to back up your device? If not, when you open itunes, right-click your device in the left panel and click "transfer purchases" and then go to the info tab and select a third party to sync your contacts in. Then right-click your device again and select create backup. Then update your device to 4.3.3. Then when you're done with the update, run redsn0w on it (get it at the dev team's blog, google "dev team" first link).

For redsn0w, be sure you download a stock 4.3.3 ipsw (find it at felixbruns.de) when it asks you to browse to it, you can use that. Then just follow the on-screen instructions.

Hmm sounds very hard and confusing considering I am terrible with using computers...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It seems like it but it isn't once you get started

You can always not do it if you are not sure of yourself. Maybe someone in your area will do it for a fee? Or you can learn today and be an expert tomorrow lol.

Hmm I'll see if I know anyone. Do yo know if there are any COMPLETE jailbreaking guides for my specific Iphone including how to backup and every single step of every process?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Google there are many illustrated guides that can visually help you get through it.