Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cant update because cant edit hosts file! Please help

Default Cant update because cant edit hosts file! Please help
    I've been trying to edit this stupid hosts file for about 2 hours and trying everything I can find but it just keeps saying "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Ive tried opening notepad as admin then opening the hosts file from there. Ive tried using tiny umbrella and unchecking the hosts file thing. Ive tried logging into the admin account to edit it. They all pop up with the same damn "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." error.

I cant update my phone till I edit this hosts file but it simply wont let me edit it. What am I doing wrong? Im so frustrated.

Make a copy of it and put it onto your desktop then run it as a admin and edit it the save it with a new line a copy it into the folder you want it to go to
    Hope this worked

I tried that as well but that didnt work either. It still gives me the same error.

Luckily, I was able to fix it and I want to provide the solution here. I just booted up into safemode and it allowed me to change the host file. There must be some indexing service that is preventing me from editing the host file and I plan to try and figure it out at a later time.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Some sort of program running that utilizes it? Perhaps iTunes? I don't know just throwing it out there. Maybe stop all processes by Apple like iTunes and iTunes helper or something and see if that's the culprit. But glad you got it to work!