Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3G does not want to restore... and is stuck in DFU mode

Default Iphone 3G does not want to restore... and is stuck in DFU mode
    Alright here is the deal wanted to make a sluggy iphone back into a 3.1.3 from 4.1. So I decided to make a new custom firmware using snowbreeze and restore it. It was already jailbroken well.... it didn't work. After wards I tried restoring it to official 4.1... nope nothing. I tried my old ISPW for the 4.1 and it didn't work either. So right now I have a Phone that is stuck in DFU mode and it'll try to restore but just hangs at the very beginning of the restore. Nothing is frozen the progress bar won't move in like 30 minutes. So please could someone help me out?

Do you have 4.1 shsh blobs saved?

Nope I don't, I found my EDIC things that Tinyumbrella needs. I created a device using that thing and using the manual edic but I cannot seem to find anyway to save it. *sigh* So right now I have nothing.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Use a stock 3.1.3 firmware instead. I see sn0wbreeze isn't playing well with your iPhone 3G, which is expected.

You will get error 1015 after restoring to stock 3.1.3. Just use TinyUmbrella to exit recovery mode after. Then jb as normal with redsn0w 0.9.4 (point to 3.1.2 ipsw)

Yeah I tried restoring it to a stock firmware I also tried restoring it to 4.2 and neither work. Right now I accidentally pulled it while It started a restore and now it's stuck on the "restore" screen with the apple and the load bar.. .I can't get it to unload.

NVM- The classic press home and power for a while worked..... so here's trying again.

Alright well I tried a restore ispw from this site that I downloaded and well it's just stuck there.... So yeah... any tips? Anything I could do to fix this? I can't find a solution it just won't restore.
    Last edited by rubsnick; 2011-05-11 at 05:14 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

While the phone is on, hold home and power. When screen shuts down and turns back on (when you see the apple logo) release power but hold home until iTunes+USB screen shows.

Open TinyUmbrella, in advance options uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit. Exit TU.

Open iTunes (don't have it open before finishing the TU steps) and hold shift and click restore. Browse to stock 3.1.3. iTunes should restore it just fine.

Then with error 1015 after restore exit recovery with TU.

If these steps don't work then I don't know what will

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    While the phone is on, hold home and power. When screen shuts down and turns back on (when you see the apple logo) release power but hold home until iTunes+USB screen shows.

Open TinyUmbrella, in advance options uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit. Exit TU.

Open iTunes (don't have it open before finishing the TU steps) and hold shift and click restore. Browse to stock 3.1.3. iTunes should restore it just fine.

Then with error 1015 after restore exit recovery with TU.

If these steps don't work then I don't know what will
    That didn't work..... *sigh* Is my iphone screwed now?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah sorry I'm out of ideas. I gave my best and if that doesn't work well I'm stumped.

What if you try restoring it just through iTunes with a different iOS. I prefer to use iOS 4.0 when I have to fix something on my/friend's iPhones.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Two reasons:

1) SHSHs are needed to restore to 4.0

2) 4.0 is awful on iPhone 3G

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Two reasons:

1) SHSHs are needed to restore to 4.0

2) 4.0 is awful on iPhone 3G
    Word

Alright I left it on overnight restoring and low behold it worked. I restored it to official firmware 3.1.3 and then I just used Jailbreak me to install cydia and what not. Currently I'm happy. ^^