Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.1.3 to 4.3.3

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jabbacks's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 3.1.3 to 4.3.3
    What are the advantages & disadvantages in going from 3.1.3 to 4.3.3? Features, menus, apps, etc.??????

I have 3.1.3 jb. If after upgrade to 4.3.3, is it possible to jb again? Like moving from this country to another country?

??????

Thanks....

Thanks

I'm assuming you have an iPhone 3GS. If this is not the case, please correct me.

It's very possible to jailbreak a 3GS on 4.3.3 (untethered), if you use PwnageTool to make a custom 4.3.3 firmware (strongly recommended), you can also preserve your baseband so your iPhone is still unlockable.

Features: well, all the features of iOS 4. Namely, the "API/multitasking done right," AirPlay/Home sharing, threaded/unified e-mail inbox, ability to use apps that require iOS 4.0+, native folders, and AirPrint (with some extra JB hackery, use CUPS to print to almost any network-attached printer). With the 3GS, it's advisable to use PwnageTool to make a custom 4.3.3 jailbroken firmware to get some nice new features.

NOTE: This post only applies to the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3G (and original/2G) shouldn't (or in the original's case, cannot) be moved past 3.1.3 in my opinion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Jabbacks (2011-05-11)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jabbacks's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks orby. Ur right I have 3.1.3/3gs. Gonna try this and see wat happens next.

Wish meh luck!

Default iphone 3gs
    hey I am currently on an iphone 3gs with 3.1.3. I am wondering what are the pros and cons to upgrading to a 4.3.3 if there are any. does it run smooth? crash? freeze?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by popnlock9 View Post
    hey I am currently on an iphone 3gs with 3.1.3. I am wondering what are the pros and cons to upgrading to a 4.3.3 if there are any. does it run smooth? crash? freeze?
    It is time for you to update to 4.3.3, it runs smoothly on 3gs.

Cool, I'm in the same situation (running 3.1.2 on my 3GS, and wanting to upgrade so that I can run some 4.0 apps). I've got ALL my SHSHs saved so could update to anything 4.x, but sounds like I'll give 4.3.3 a go. Are there any jailbreak app issues with that iOS? (are SB settings, winterboard, activator etc all fine? I can't fathom using my phone without them.) And if I'm not unlocking - only jailbreaking - should I still do custom firmware?

Thanks

Most of cydia stufs have already been updated to be compatible with 4.3.3. If you are not unlocking it, you do not need to restore to custom firmware.
    Make sure you sync your stuffs first
    Update itunes to the latest , version 10
    Download the 4.3.3 ipsw and shift + restore in itunes.
    Once restored, don't do a backup restore yet.
    Activate your iphone with official sim
    Run redsn0w RC16 to jailbreak.
    Update cydia.
    Now setup as a backup restore if you want all your stuffs back, i mean sms, notes, emails and etc.

Thanks for the help!
    But since 4.3.3 is the current firmware, couldn't I let itunes update it automatically and then just re-jailbreak it? (rather than shift-restore and apply a backup?)

Thanks

Yes, but when you do your jailbreak, you need to locate the 4.3.3 fw . It is easier if you download it onto your desktop.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

lumina (2011-06-12)

Ohhhh right. I forgot about that step. Thanks!

thanks for the info. another question... do you think os5 will run smoothly on the 3gs as well? im debating if i should upgrade to 4.3.3 or wait for the os5.

Thanks

Not sure but i think it will run smoothly on 3gs