Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: When iTunes backs up the phone...

Default When iTunes backs up the phone...
    When iTunes does it back ups with the phone does it also back up any jailbreaking data/apps? Or does it ignore it like it's not even there? Just wondering is it safe to restore a backup that was backed up when the phone was jailbroken?

Also is 4.3.3 a go now? For Windows I would need Redsn0w and the current ipsw file?

Thanks
    "Don't hold it like that!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

It sometimes carries over some system modifications. It is suggested to do "Set up as new" but been told for minor updates restoring from backup is not as big of an issue.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    When iTunes does it back ups with the phone does it also back up any jailbreaking data/apps? Or does it ignore it like it's not even there? Just wondering is it safe to restore a backup that was backed up when the phone was jailbroken?

Also is 4.3.3 a go now? For Windows I would need Redsn0w and the current ipsw file?

Thanks
    The iPhone doesn't back up the directories in which JB-inserted code are located, so your "ignore" metaphor is solid. It's safe to use a JB'ed old backup insofar as it shouldn't cause your iPhone to spontaneously combust, but it may cause excessive battery drain.

4.3.3 is indeed a "go" now. IPSW, iTunes, and redsn0w.exe (0.9.6rc16) are the needed tools.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Restore to stock fw > activate with sim > do your redsnow JB first > update Cydia > only then setup as backup restore if you want your info data.
    Example : after installing yahoo messenger or skype again all your contacts and messages will appear again

Redsnow rc 15 for 4.3.3
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-05-10 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I thought the version was 0.9.6rc15, not 16? That's what on all the guides. Does it matter if I use 15 or 16?
    "Don't hold it like that!"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If there is a 16, then go for it. It is still for 4.3.3 jailbreak.