Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken iPhone 3GS - Travelling to NY

Question Jailbroken iPhone 3GS - Travelling to NY
    Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question/post. But I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS, and i'm travelling from the UK to New York in a few weeks time.

Now with the security measures that New York and USA in general have(which i'm in no way complaining about, I understand fully), would they check my iPhone and could I possibly be putting myself at risk if they see it's been jailbroken?

It sounds like an odd thing to ask, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I don't want to risk putting it in luggage for it to get broken/lost, and I would like to use the iPod on the phone whilst flying.

Thanks in advance for whoever can answer this.

You have nothing to worry about. They don't give a damn about your phone. You might want to unlock it though, so you can use it here.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Good, good. I thought i'd better make sure before I come over. I've set it up with my carrier to allow me international calls, but i'm thinking, that the hotel i'm staying at will probably have WiFi so i'll probably just skype back home if I can, if not there's no biggie about using my phone, the iPod with Virgin Atlantic's flight services will get me through the long journey though.

Thanks for answering my question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
    Good, good. I thought i'd better make sure before I come over. I've set it up with my carrier to allow me international calls, but i'm thinking, that the hotel i'm staying at will probably have WiFi so i'll probably just skype back home if I can, if not there's no biggie about using my phone, the iPod with Virgin Atlantic's flight services will get me through the long journey though.

Thanks for answering my question.
    Customs likely won't care. While they do have the right to seize any electronic devices without cause or warrant at the border/airport, they often don't.

I /strongly/ recommend unlocking your phone, especially with the majority of the UK's carriers being very civil about officially unlocking phones (assuming you can't use ultrasn0w).

Hotel Wi-Fi is often very expensive ($10/day seems to be the going rate, but some hotels have it for free). If you're planning to use any cell/mobile data or minutes (and SMS/MMS likely) in the US, 15-20 quid for an unlock is a pittance compared to the roaming charges you're very likely to incur here.

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me. I don't think i'm going to jailbreak, because the hotel where i'm staying at offers free WiFi(Westin Times Sq).

I'll probably revert the themes/five icon dock and springboard back until I am over there, to be on the safe side.