Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "System" partition 90% used RIGHT after JB 4.2.1 (w/o restoring)

Default "System" partition 90% used RIGHT after JB 4.2.1 (w/o restoring)
    Like many others, yesterday I updated MobileSubstrate, rebooted, and got stuck on the apple logo screen. Being the impatient man I am, I couldn't wait for the solution of that problem to show up on the web, so I went ahead and restored/updated:

My phone: 3Gs - old bootrom - factory unlocked
    Firmware: 4.0 - early 4.0 sn0wbreeze custom FM JB => fresh install (set as new phone) 4.2.1 - JB w/redsn0w 0.9.6b4.

Everything went so smooth, until I checked cydia>manage>storage and found out that my "system" partition has only 10% free space! (out of the 740MB)

As soon as I started installing my cydia apps the dreaded "low memory" message started appearing.

I've googled and so far haven't run into an elegant solution. Some only mentioned how you can use bosstools to move files around and free some space, or use a shady script that rids you of unnecessary files, while others mentioned that this problem may be relating to limera1n's exploit which the new redsn0w employs, but without a solution. So far today, I've restored the phone 5 times hoping that it was a mistake I made during the JB process, but it isn't. The problem still persists.

So um, yeah, HELP!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Simple. Create a firmware using Pwnage Tool on a Mac or download one that someone else created that has a larger partition. I use 1GB instead of the usual 700mb. You may be able to do this with Snowbreeze in Windows, but I am not 100% positive about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Jinfash (2010-11-24)

I'm aware of thats, that's why I did with 4.0
    However I'm over custom FW, it's a hassle that I don't feel like going through again.

But, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're suggesting that everyone who jailbroke with redsn0w 0.9.6b4 is having the same issue? that can't be right, can it?

If not, then I'm merely looking for the source of this problem. I'm aware that large system partition (1GB) is unnecessary, which is why I'm avoiding a custom FW, but having 74MB of free space right out of the gate is just not right.

Thanks

I haven't used Redsnow in a long time so I can't answer whether or not it is a problem. It doesn't appear to be or the board would be filled full of threads relating to it. Custom Firmwares are definitely the way to go. I don't see any hassles in them at all. I design my own packages to suit my needs. I agree that 74mb is too low to begin with.The firmwares are getting bigger and bigger now so you may want to reconsider your /root partition size.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Jinfash (2010-11-24)

Ugh, you might be right. I haven't read up on whether installing a custom FW for 4.2 requires is possible or compatible with the current set of JB tools or not (as it was with comex's spirit when upgrading to 4.0 - had to downgrade and JB w/blackra1n ).

So can you advise me on how to proceed from here? Either way, thanks for the help.

Edit: Due to the lack or responses to my last question I assume there are still no pwnage tool/sn0wbreeze available to create custom 4.2s?
    Last edited by Jinfash; 2010-11-25 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

No , not yet. Only Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 to jailbreak at 4.2 for iphone 3g,3gs ( oldbootrom) and ipt 2g (non MC) model.

Even if you can jailbreak, you will not be able to use most of the themes.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-25 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It will just take a little more time for the tools to be finished. I am sitting tight at 4.1 because I think 4.2.1 may be a tethered jailbreak for my I4.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I have an iphone 4 factory unlocked and i don't jump to IOS 4.2.1. What is the point when you cannot use Cydia after jailbreaking it. It will be about a month before they will make it compatible after the release of a tethered jailbreak.
    I will rather stay at 4.1 than having a tethered jailbreak at 4.2.1

Thanks

I am hoping for an untethered jailbreak. 4.2.1 has nothing that interests me, but eventually I will have to update because Apps are going to demand it. I still have a phone on 3.1.2. It will never be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    I have an iphone 4 factory unlocked and i don't jump to IOS 4.2.1. What is the point when you cannot use Cydia after jailbreaking it. It will be about a month before they will make it compatible after the release of a tethered jailbreak.
    I will rather stay at 4.1 than having a tethered jailbreak at 4.2.1
    The latest redsn0w installs the new Cydia (co-developed by chpwn), everything so far is working as it should for me. Unless there are compatibility problems specific to iPhone4 that I haven't heard of

Default I have exactly the same problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinfash View Post
    My phone: 3Gs - old bootrom - factory unlocked
    Firmware: 4.0 - early 4.0 sn0wbreeze custom FM JB => fresh install (set as new phone) 4.2.1 - JB w/redsn0w 0.9.6b4.

Everything went so smooth, until I checked cydia>manage>storage and found out that my "system" partition has only 10% free space! (out of the 740MB)

As soon as I started installing my cydia apps the dreaded "low memory" message started appearing.

I've googled and so far haven't run into an elegant solution. Some only mentioned how you can use bosstools to move files around and free some space, or use a shady script that rids you of unnecessary files, while others mentioned that this problem may be relating to limera1n's exploit which the new redsn0w employs, but without a solution. So far today, I've restored the phone 5 times hoping that it was a mistake I made during the JB process, but it isn't. The problem still persists.

So um, yeah, HELP!
    I have exactly the same problem
    hope to find an solution for this
    you may have a good evening