Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tried jailbreaking

Default Tried jailbreaking
    i tried jail breaking my phone with limera1n but since my home button doesn't work too well an error occurred now my iphone 3g wont turn on how do i get it back
    i opened up itunes an it said it has to be restored but if i restore it will also update it too and i dont want it to update
    help!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

limera1n doesnt work on iPhone 3G. You are going to have to restore. What firmware are you on now?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Restore to custom firmware but you need Home button to put you into DFU mode using Redsn0w

Thanks

Jailbreak with Redsn0w.

Thanks

Do you have a Power button ?

I don't know how to guide without the Home button.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-24 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Don't think it can be done without a power button, redsn0w has an option just to put in DFU, not sure if that will work though.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Should probably get that home button fixed...

You said it doesnt work too well so it works sometimes? Try holding the home and power button for 10-20 seconds then release and try powering on as normal. Do the home+power button then power on over and over until you get it to turn on if your home button still functions at least a little. If it doesn't work at all, you probably can't get it to turn on if it is stuck in DFU.

yes i do have a power button

my iphone just wont turn on

i took it into apple yesterday to see how much id be to fix the home button but they told me they would swap me a new one for my old one but i had to pay 80 bucks do you guys think the new 3g will be updated up to date or do you think it will be at 4.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Don't think it can be done without a power button, redsn0w has an option just to put in DFU, not sure if that will work though.
    He has the Power button but Home button is messed up..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by puma.leaf View Post
    Should probably get that home button fixed...

You said it doesnt work too well so it works sometimes? Try holding the home and power button for 10-20 seconds then release and try powering on as normal. Do the home+power button then power on over and over until you get it to turn on if your home button still functions at least a little. If it doesn't work at all, you probably can't get it to turn on if it is stuck in DFU.
    i did the whole 10 to 20 seconds thing an it asks me to plug it into itunes so it can be restored and update it should i just update it to 4.2 an take it in an spend the 80 bucks on a new 3g one?

also if i do get the new one will it be up to date with the latest update?
    Last edited by PLANTREEZ; 2010-11-24 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's good. iTunes will let you restore. You don't have to go to 4.2.1. You can go to 3.1.x without SHSHs or use a custom firmware for 4.1 to preserve your baseband.

Edit: you don't have to update, ignore the prompt, and hold shift and click restore to select the firmware you want.

You won't have to get a new one if iTunes is allowing you to restore now. If you do, it's unsure what fw will be on it. It could be refurbed, which they could have updated it. Dont know if they even give new in box ones anymore since they only sell 3GS and 4 with contract so I don't know if their stock with 3G is new/updated.

Edit 2: it would cost less to fix your home button. There are iPhone 3G screen with home button/flex cable included for $24+shipping. Instead of paying the $80. It's fairly simple and easy to replace the screen.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-24 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

PLANTREEZ (2010-11-24)

where do i get it from? if i want to stay at 4.1 an preserve my baseband

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    He has the Power button but Home button is messed up..LOL
    I must have been standing on my head, lolz. opps

can you link me to the 24 dolllar thing

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PLANTREEZ View Post
    where do i get it from? if i want to stay at 4.1 an preserve my baseband
    You can get sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 (not 2.1, Cydia doesn't open or load on a 3G. I've done 2 iPhone 3G with the same result) and create a custom 4.1 fw. You'll need to download a stock 4.1 ipsw (go to Felixbruns.de to get it) to use with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2. Then just shift+restore to it.

If you aren't with the official carrier, you'll want to use expert mode in Sn0wbreeze and in the General tab, checkmark "activate (hacktivate)" so you can bypass the emergency call screen.

If you hacktivate, you'll run into push and YouTube problems. Possibly sync problems. If you've got sync problems, restore and jb again until the problem doesnt occur. For YouTube and push, install source "www.cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt" and install Push Doctor.

It's on Amazon.com for the screen and home button/flex

Pre-installed Kit : Apple iPhone 3G Lcd Glass Screen Cover + Touch Screen Digitizer + Frame + Home Flex Button + Ear Speaker + Tool + Cleaning Cloth:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

I lost the one I saw lol sorry. But here's another. Prices range from $25-$30
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-24 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i get an error when i open snowbreeze

"the application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000135)"

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If your home button is not working right and you cant get into dfu then you have 2 choices, 1 long way and a shorter way.

1: Restore to 3.1.3 and use spirit or jailbreakme.com to jailbreak. You will need tiny umbrella to kick out of recovery since you will get a 1015 error near the end of the restore. (you will need a official sim to activate using this method)

or

2: If you REALLY want to stay on 4.1 and jailbreak then your road is a bit harder and longer. It can be done though. It will require going back to 3.1.2, using blackra1n so that your device is pwned then you should be able to restore to a 4.1 custom firmware made with sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 (not 2.1).

Both of these methods do not require dfu.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes I'll say just restore to stock 3.1.3 like x98car said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast