Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2

Default iOS 4.2
    With the new 4.2 release today, and being I admit to my n00b status as far as jailbreaking goes, what will be the right method to update the iOS, and still keep the jailbreak in tact? I saw the redsn0w release for 4.2, but I didn't know if upgrading the iOS would damage any of the Cydia apps I've downloaded, etc. I also know Cydia ran its patch to keep iTunes from barking at me regarding the new iOS update, but I just am lost as to what to do next, or what to look out for.

Also if I missed this topic covered, I apologize, and any link to the thread where it's discussed is much appreciated too.

Do not update yet if you want to stay jailbroken. IF you want to save your cydia packages download pkgbckup from cydia and run it that way when you update firmware and re jailbreak you can download that one package again from cydia and have all your themes and ect back from cydia.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

IanRobinett (2010-11-22)

Thank you sir. I will definitely look into the app. I am curious, though, when it is safe to update 1) how will I know and 2) how strenuous of a process is it to go through?

1) when you see on the front page of the website a jailbreak for it lol
    2) it should only take 10 mins max

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you do not need an unlock and have your 4.1 shsh blogs saved, you can try it out.

I'm more just concerned with how the process works. Will it be like I would download from iTunes normally, then go jailbreak, and then reinstall the Cydia apps? Or would there be a modified download somewhere? This learning process is quite enjoyable I must say lol

It could go either way at this point we will all have to wait and see. I am hoping for itunes download then jailbreak..

Gotcha... I really do appreciate the help/friendliness overall on the forums...

No problem thats what everyone is here for

i'm not able to understand why there is no jailbreak for 4.2 yet !

4.2 dropped less than an hour ago devs need run test and make sure everything checks out before they release a jailbreak patience is a virtue my friend

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. I'm not really sure as what to do! Could anyone tell me the correct way to upgrade and set it up as a new iPhone? I don't want to upgrade and restore from a backup (as I believe limera1n has gave me battery issues, so I'd rather start out fresh). Can anyone tell me the steps? I'm sure it's prob just clicking upgrade or something similar, but I'd rather find out from the experts first!

Btw, I really don't mean to hijack your thread buddy. I just thought that since I have a similar question, there is no need for me to spam up the boards with another topic. Thanks!

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Do a restore on your phone then it will ask you restore from last back up or set up as new

Thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply! So I click restore, not upgrade? By clicking restore > set up as new phone, will this upgrade me to 4.2 also?

Thanks

Awesome, thanks now just to wait for a jailbreak to be updated. I won't be going near limera1n that's for sure!

Lol No problem

By the way there is a button for thanks

Thanks

I'll click thanks once I get to a computer

Note to OP: Again, sorry for posting a lot about my own question. My intention wasn't to hijack your thread, I hope my question helped you too

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    I'll click thanks once I get to a computer

Note to OP: Again, sorry for posting a lot about my own question. My intention wasn't to hijack your thread, I hope my question helped you too
    Did you get an updated baseband or is it the same at IOS 4.1 baseband ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Did you get an updated baseband or is it the same at IOS 4.1 baseband ?
    I haven't upgraded just yet, I'm waiting for a jailbreak to be updated. I just wanted this info so I can be prepared

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast