Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App that Allows Network Connection through USB?

Default App that Allows Network Connection through USB?
    So I work for a company and we are attending a tradeshow that we need to run multiple mobile devices on a wifi network. Since there's a ton of interference at tradeshows and I've heard that you can use a USB connection to an iPad/iPod touch to get a network connection instead of wifi if the device is jailbroken. I haven't seem to have found any detailed info on this. Could someone provide some info or links?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Interesting question, I know I can run my Dell AXIM internet connection through syncing cable on my laptop.

I thought you could use unlockit.co.nz to put on a custom profile? That way it just lets you use internet tethering via bluetooth/USB?

If not, then I've got an app called MyWi from Cydia which lets you not only create a wifi network but also enables USB tethering if the above doesn't work... ($20 though)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Isn't MyWi tethering is for mobile to computer, yes than you can use this app using USB connection but if you want to get internet from your computer to your device via usb cable is a different thing.

Quite right, misread the original post. MyWi can't do what's needed.

Thanks

Clarification please: are you looking to use the cell network from the phone to provide Internet access to a connection to a USB-connected laptop in lieu of WiFi, or are you looking to use a non-WiFi signal on the laptop (BT, cell, w/e) and pass that along to the device through USB? It's late and probably obvious to y'all, but I'm slow on the uptake.

iPhone to laptop via USB can be done easily on the iPhone with Internet Tethering on iOS 4.0+ under Network in Settings (make sure to change your APN if you're on AT&T or a carrier that charges for tethering if you're jailbroken). Laptop to iPhone via USB I don't believe can be done, and I haven't seen any programs to facilitate that, Cydia or otherwise.