Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Scared To Update?!?!?

Question Scared To Update?!?!?
    I'm new to this jailbreak stuff. I've been told from a friend if I update my phone I will loose my jailbreak. Is this true?

I'm running 4.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and every time I plug it in to my computer it ask me to update and I always cancel it. I also get Carrier settings updates on my phone, is this the same thing? What happens if I don't update or what do i do to update and keep all my jailbroken things?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You can do the Carrier Updates without running into problems, but if you do update to a new firmware you will lose your jailbreak. As it stands right now all firmwares can be jailbroken, but if you are using your phone on an unofficial carrier you have to be very careful or updating will lock your phone. Just follow this site anytime your iTunes tells you there is a new update for your phone and you will be fine.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

1st: should we assume you are AT&T?

If yes, you have many simple options to update to 4.1. Depending upon the method, jailbreaking happens either after an update (a separate step) or at the same time as the update.

If not an AT&T customer, then you must be extra careful before updating with any method.

I suggest downloading Tiny Umbrella to your computer (google search), connect your phone, and run TU and save All SHSH blobs. This is a very important first step.

Once this is done, we can direct you to detailed and simple jb'ing tutorials.