Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General Info for Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS, 4, & 4S

hi annie, or anyone.... Ive been out of the jailbreak seen for a bit... a friend of mine have a problem with his ipod 2G i j/b it a while back and he did something to it.... the screen is dark even with setting all the way up, i mean you can see it but way too dark!! anyway i notice the cydia app is messed up, so I restore to 4.1 was 3.1.3 but he does not have the SHSH saved. however he does have 4.0, 4.0.2, 4.1, and 4.2.1 which one is the best app for his ipt2 and which j/b app to use? right now it on 4.1 I can restore to any of the 4 ios that is available, please give me some help.....
    Last edited by Neil001; 2011-06-17 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

4.1 or 4.2.1 should be fine. Sounds like more of a hardware issue to me though (LCD).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    4.1 or 4.2.1 should be fine. Sounds like more of a hardware issue to me though (LCD).
    I'm starting think it hardware problem as well, just that the Cydia app was not right! So I thought I restore and rejailbreak and hope for the best... If my memory serves me correctly I use redsn0w to j/b another ipt2 before. I though I ask before I jump into it

Thanks

I just fixed a phone with this same issue and it was the LCD.

Default Assistance on Jailbreak Information
    Hi,

I am having a iPhone 3G with 4.2.1.

1. I want to know whether running this jailbreak will wipe my data/apps or not?

2. Also if I want to revert to factory settings, will I be able to do that after jailbreaking and how? Any links to same. I read somewhere that updating to baseband 6.x.x doesn't allow you to restore to stock firmware? What is actually meant by stock firmware?

Look forward to the above answers.

Thanks.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Did you need to unlock, is that why you're asking about the iPad bb?

Running a jb will not erase anything, unless it is a jb tool that uses custom firmwares. But usually creating a backup and restoring from the backup after will recover your data.

If you want to "unjailbreak" just do a standard restore. But yes iPad bb users cannot restore to stock unjailbroken fw on iOS 4.2.1 and up. But if you don't need to unlock you shouldn't use the iPad bb...

Hi Annie,
    So I will b using the redsnow to jb, using the guide in Iclarified.com wherein the redsnow application is made to point to a stock firmware 4.2.1 downloaded from the link given. So will this process wipe my data & apps?

To unjailbreak, isn't it better to make a backup before jb and then "restore from this backup" during unjailbreaking. Will this bring back my original apps & settings?

Thanks....

RedSn0w does not wipe your apps as you are not restring a new FW Pwnage and Sn0wbreeze do as you are using custom FW.

Why would you want to 'unjailbreak'?

A backup and restore will suffice for most circumstances. A DFU restore and not restore from backup will ensure there is no trace of the JB.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

"Running a jb will not erase anything, unless it is a jb tool that uses custom firmwares. But usually creating a backup and restoring from the backup after will recover your data."

Redsn0w does not use custom firmwares so it doesn't erase anything by itself.

If ever in need of a restore (in your terms I suppose to "unjailbreak") it's always recommended to set up as new because using a backup can create or carry over previous pre-existing problems. If no pre-existing problems are present, then restoring from back up *should be* ok but is never 100% guaranteed.

You should always manually back things up as well, you can't rely on iTunes to back it up and be completely ok all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    "Running a jb will not erase anything, unless it is a jb tool that uses custom firmwares. But usually creating a backup and restoring from the backup after will recover your data."

Redsn0w does not use custom firmwares so it doesn't erase anything by itself.

If ever in need of a restore (in your terms I suppose to "unjailbreak") it's always recommended to set up as new because using a backup can create or carry over previous pre-existing problems. If no pre-existing problems are present, then restoring from back up *should be* ok but is never 100% guaranteed.

You should always manually back things up as well, you can't rely on iTunes to back it up and be completely ok all the time.

Hi Annie,
    Thanks fr your confirmation that redsn0w will keep my apps intact on iPhone. As a final point could you share some link for a definitive guide on using redsn0w to jb 3G with 4.2.1?

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pronojitsaha View Post
    Hi Annie,
    Thanks fr your confirmation that redsn0w will keep my apps intact on iPhone. As a final point could you share some link for a definitive guide on using redsn0w to jb 3G with 4.2.1?

Thanks.
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

If you are not in need of unlocking do not do the ipad baseband part.

Thanks for the inputs.

hi simon, i need your help again, my 3g is about to die. so i pickup myh son's 3gs, he restored to 4.3.3 needless to say i lost my unlock, bb is 05.16.02 :-( ....... I'd check what shsh is saved 3.1.3. 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.2.1 confirmed with tu. i try so many steps and now i'm stuck in restore logo. i try to do the factory restore back to 4.3.3 no go, i try to downgrade to 4.2.1 using tu no go...... what should i do at this point, i can use redsnow to get the device in to DFU mode, but almost everything i'd try fails do you have any ideas? thanks ahead!!

Thanks

Open tiny umbrella
    Click advanced
    Deselect the box that says "Set hosts to Cydia on exit"
    Click apply, close tiny umbrella
    Proceed with the restore to 4.3.3

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Neil001 (2011-06-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Open tiny umbrella
    Click advanced
    Deselect the box that says "Set hosts to Cydia on exit"
    Click apply, close tiny umbrella
    Proceed with the restore to 4.3.3
    thanks for getting back to me, i've try that and i'd got an error code 1604, any idea?

Thanks

You trying to restore to a regular firmware or a custom one?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Neil001 (2011-06-21)

regular for now if thats goes well i'll try to jb it with snowbreeze. i am redoing it again to see if i get the same result....

Thanks

Thats a bit of a pain error to get around if you are getting it with regular firmware.

thanks Simon, for some reason it when well this time around. its back 0n 4.3.3 with bb 05.16.02, do u recommend redsnow 09.06rc16 or should i just go with snowbreeze? I think i dodge the bullet this time..............

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Neil001 (2011-06-21)

Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast