Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.0.1 jailbreakme.com JB + pwnage 4.1 custom IPSW = big problems!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 4.0.1 jailbreakme.com JB + pwnage 4.1 custom IPSW = big problems!!!
    Let me start by stating that I'm not new to iphone jailbreaking & unlocking - I've literally jb/unlocked over 1,000 of them since the original iPhone so I'm fairly well versed in this subject. I've run into a problem of late that has stumped me and am hoping some iPhone guru can help me! Here's the issue:

I have a handful of iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4 that were JB on 4.0.1 using jailbreakme.com then ultrasn0w unlocked. Everything worked exactly as it should. Then pwnagetool was updated to allow for custom 4.1 IPSW files so I cooked some up for each model. After using pwnage to get into pwned DFU mode, I'd do a custom restore up to 4.1 jailbroken and unlock again with ultrasn0w.

Almost every phone I've done this with (possibly ALL of them) immediately had problems with inbound calls, texts and very poor battery life. Incoming calls mostly go directly to VM, texts are badly delayed and battery life (even on a near new iPhone 4) is like 4-5 hours with very little usage. Resetting network settings and turning off Push data doesn't resolve the issue. However, if I turn off cellular data, then the incoming calls and texts work as normal. Also, the phones can do data on WIFI only and receive calls/texts normally. But as soon as cellular data is turned on, problems come back and battery life is poor regardless of settings.

Seems like the phones are constantly accessing data for some reason and interfering with voice/text usage and quickly killing the battery. On the phones that have pre-4.1 SHSH hashes saved, I could roll the FW back and use either redsn0w or limera1n to JB on the older FW, do a custom pwnage back to 4.1 then unlock and everything's fine. So as long as the custom 4.1 wasn't used in conjunction with jailbreakme.com JB, everything was fine.

The problem is that I have a handful of phones that were only recently JB'ed (for the first time) on jailbreakme.com while on FW 4.0.1 and have ONLY 4.1 SHSH hashes saved b/c it was no longer possible to save pre-4.1 hashes. I can't roll back the firmware on these phone. The ONLY way I can restore these phones is using the same pwnage 4.1 custom IPSW file - and no matter how many times I do this, the issues above persist.

So can ANYONE help me find a solution for this? The obvious answer is to wait for the next JB/unlock on 4.2 but I need help on these phones ASAP!

Anyone???

TIA
    Last edited by yenniedn; 2010-11-18 at 04:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

The only tool to preserve baseband and bypass shsh blogs is custom firmware. If you think custom firmware is the culprit, then there is no tool that can help you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    The only tool to preserve baseband and bypass shsh blogs is custom firmware. If you think custom firmware is the culprit, then there is no tool that can help you.
    It doesn't appear that the custom IPSW files are the culprit because I can use the exact same cooked IPSW files with a redsn0w or limera1n JB and everything is OK. It is only when they are used in conjunction with a jailbreakme.com JB that the problems arise.

And since the problem phones only have 4.1 SHSH hashes saved, I cannot restore back to a stock 4.0.2, 4.0.1 or older in order to get rid of whatever aspect of the jailbreakme.com JB that is causing the conflict. On the other phones with 4.0.1/4.0.2, I've done exactly that: roll back, then limera1n and then use the same pwnage 4.1 custom IPSW to got back up to 4.1 JB/unlocked. That works fine.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This may not help at all, but an early Pwnage release suggested older phones (3G, 3GS) be downgraded/jailbroken to 3.1.2 (not even 3.1.3 ) before going to an early 4.x release.

This always confused me until I experienced a 3.1.3 Pwnage load. 3.1.2 would load fine, but not 3.1.3! The problem ended up being with a prior battery replacement that 3.1.3 didn't like - and 3.1.2 didn't check (haha. After changing the battery (with an Apple authorized one) 3.1.3, 4.0.1, 4.1 restore fine.

With no prior SHSH blobs this is not an option except for the 3G.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-18 at 05:36 AM.

You're suspecting a baseband problem? I don't think JBme should have impacted it?

I went from jailbreakme to pwnagetool without issue on one 3GS phone. I guess you are going to have to wait for the new unlock and use a stock 4.1 for the 3GS's and 4's.

For the 3G you could try to downgrade them to stock 3.1.x and go back up to 4.1 from there, but I don't it will change anything as your custom restore would have wiped anything from jailbreakme anyway.

Thanks

There is no such thing as restoring to cfw in conjunction with jailbreakme.com. Once you restore to custom fw, jailbreakme jailbreak is gone and never being used. The main reason why you can restore to cfw is because of Geohot's exploit which is the DFU part.
    Pwnage tool is a package custom firmware with jailbreak incorporated in it. You don't have to run limera1n and then restore to pwnage tools. You can just restore to Pwnage tools through this special DFU mode from a stock firmare

If you don't believe me, with your jailbreakme jailbreak, click restore to custom firmware of 4.1 & skip the DFU part, you will immediately get an error

Note : Always setup as a new iphone to avoid future problems
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-18 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

There is no such thing as restoring to cfw in conjunction with jailbreakme.com. Once you restore to custom fw, jailbreakme jailbreak is gone and never being used. The main reason why you can restore to cfw is because of Geohot's exploit which is the DFU part.
    Pwnage tool is a package custom firmware with jailbreak incorporated in it. You don't have to run limera1n and then restore to pwnage tools. You can just restore to Pwnage tools through this special DFU mode from a stock firmare

If you don't believe me, with your jailbreakme jailbreak, click restore to custom firmware of 4.1 & skip the DFU part, you will immediately get an error

Note : Always setup as a new iphone to avoid future problems
    OK, I'm not sure I'm explaining the situation properly to you. Let's try this:

Phone #1: start with stock (never jailbroken) FW 4.0.1 and I JB with jailbreakme.com. Enter pwned DFU mode & do custom restore using pwnagetool 4.1 custom IPSW and add ultrasn0w gives me all the problems mentioned above.

Phone #2: another stock (never jailbroken) FW 4.0.1 and I JB with redsn0w or limera1n. Enter pwned DFU mode & use the same pwnagetool custom 4.1 restore as above & ultrasn0w = no problems at all.

On the problem phone #1 above, IF I'M ABLE to roll back the FW to 4.0.2, 4.0.1 or older, then JB with anything other than jailbreakme.com then custom IPSW upto 4.1 again + ultrasn0w = problems resolved. But since I can't roll these phones back due to lack of 4.0.2, 4.0.1, 3.1.3, etc. hashes, I can't fix them.

There is SOMETHING that lingers from a jailbreakme.com JB even after you do a pwnagetool custom 4.1 restore that causes these issues. I can take one of these problem phones and restore them a dozen times using the custom 4.1 IPSW and the problem does not go away.

Does that help explain the situation better?
    Last edited by yenniedn; 2010-11-18 at 06:53 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Has phone #1 been repaired or any components changed?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Has phone #1 been repaired or any components changed?
    Actually, phone #1 is just an example.

I have MULTIPLE phones with these issues. It happens on the 3G, 3GS and 4 - I have multiple units of each model suffering these problems. As long as they were originally JB on 4.0.1 FW using jailbreakme.com then custom restored to pwnage 4.1 IPSW, the problems exist.

So it's not just one phone - if it was, I wouldn't trip and just call it a quirk for that one phone. This is a systematic issue for most/all iPhones I've done this on.

Have you tried a snowbreeze custom firmware on them?

I would have thought we would have heard a lot more about this if it was a bug. Most people upgrading to 4.1 were probably going from a JB me phone and this is the first I've seen on the forum about it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

We have experienced a few users that could never get 4.1 cfw to work and always suspected a user problem.

You might be right. I alway recommend sticking with one jb method -- pwnage and don't mix and match or use the 'flavor of the day' jb tool. It's much easier to locate a problem when the variables are reduced.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-18 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks

With your #7 post, then it is possible that jailbreakme causes this problem. I will keep a lookout for such issue, thanks for info.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Have you tried a snowbreeze custom firmware on them?

I would have thought we would have heard a lot more about this if it was a bug. Most people upgrading to 4.1 were probably going from a JB me phone and this is the first I've seen on the forum about it.
    I have tried sn0wbreeze multiple times in the past but their stuff typically seems very buggy and inconsistent so I try to avoid them if at all possible. If I'm not able to resolve this (and if the next JB/unlock doesn't come out soon as rumored), I'll have to relook at them for a solution.

In researching this issue, I came across one other member here with the same issue - although he never seemed to find resolution for it either:

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/731...ilbreakme.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    We have experienced a few users that could never get 4.1 cfw to work and always suspected a user problem.

You might be right. I alway recommend sticking with one jb method -- pwnage and don't mix and match or use the 'flavor of the day' jb tool. It's much easier to locate a problem when the variables are reduced.
    You're typically right about that - but I've been through this process some many times with so many different scenarios and combinations, they typically work OK "IF" you have a general idea what you're doing. The only other bad spell I had prior to this was the infamous freeze of apple logo after reboot - but that was much more widespread and totally out of my control. Most other issues that came up, I typically found a solution or workaround for. This current one is frustrating though.

With your #7 post, then it is possible that jailbreakme causes this problem. I will keep a lookout for such issue, thanks for info.
    See the link to the other MMI thread above - it was the only other instance I could find similar to my situation.

If you have older SHSH's saved and are feeling adventurous, give my procedure above a try. Restore the phone to a default 4.0.1 (and 05.13.04 on 3g/3gs or 01.59.00 on the 4), jailbreakme.com it then pwnage up to 4.1 custom and I'll bet you'll get the same issues. Then you can roll back to default 4.0.1 again, limera1n it then pwnage to 4.1 and you'll be rid of the problems.

Very odd.
    Last edited by yenniedn; 2010-11-18 at 06:57 AM.

I've got a 3GS coming after the weekend that I need to jailbreak, I'll give it a try on that, but I was using a 3GS for a couple of weeks which was jailbreakme then pwnagetool to upgrade and it was no problem.

I still think we've not heard enough on this forum to suggest it's a bug. There would be thousands going from JBme then pwnagetool and we've got 2 posts?