Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Crashing and MMS not working after jailbreak

Question Cydia Crashing and MMS not working after jailbreak
    Ok, so I have a blackra1n jailbroken 3G running on 3.1.2. Recently, Cydia quit working on my phone. Everytime i would go to open it it would try to load for a few seconds then just crash and go back to the springboard. I had not used Cydia in quite some time, let alone install anything new, so i'm not thinking that something new affected it. Thinking it might be something with the jailbreak, i decided to re-jailbreak the phone using blackra1n again. I restored in iTunes then followed the steps to jailbreak via blackra1n. It all seems to have worked as planned except when i installed Cydia back on the phone it is doing the exact same thing, just opening and trying to load for a few seconds then crashing. I'm not sure what the problem is but i don't want to go through another restore and jailbreak if it's not gonna solve anything.

Also, prior to today's restore/jailbreak i had MMS working. I'm thinking i had to install something or something relatively simple to get MMS to work the first time i jailbroke the phone but it has been so long i honestly don't remember. I have been reading older posts about similar issues, both with the Cydia crashing and MMS, and all the threads i have found either haven't helped or the information doesn't apply to my exact situation and hasn't helped.

Please help me if you have any idea what could help either of these problems. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

The cydia that blackrain installs is not working right anymore so you need to restore and use a different jailbreak. I suggest redsnow 0.9.4.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Lash83 (2010-11-18)

Thank you for the quick reply!

I actually had full intentions of using redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 but when i had to "browse" for the firmware file it would say "Unable to recognize specified IPSW". I "browsed" and directed it to the same file i used for the restore but it would not seem to recognize it. That's the whole reason i just went along with the blackra1n jailbreak again. Any ideas on that? lol

Thanks again.

Thanks

That version is for the newer 4.0 firmware. you need redsnow 0.9.4 to do your iphone on 3.1.2. Here is a guide on how to do it with links to redsnow 0.9.4: Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Redsn0w 0.9.4 | Redmond Pie

It works the same for 3.1.2 as it does for 3.1.3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Lash83 (2010-11-18)

Awesome, Thanks!

Now this might be a stupid question, but do i need to completely restore and wait for an hour for it to do all of that or can i jailbreak with redsnow the way it is?

Also, would you have any idea about the MMS deal?

Thanks

Yes you would have to restore. But you dont have to wait an hour, not sure what you mean by that.

Sorry cant help with the MMS issue.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Lash83 (2010-11-18)

I just meant that the time it takes to restore and put the backed up info back on the phone takes forever. I didn't know if it would still work properly by just jailbreaking with redsnow over the blackra1n jailbreak.

Thanks

Aahh...gotcha. It should fix your cydia problem, not sure about your MMS one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Lash83 (2010-11-18)

Thank you very much!

Anyone else have any ideas on the MMS problem?

Anyone have any idea what the MMS problem could be?

Thanks