Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Total Brick

Default Total Brick
    Hey Folks

Hope someone can suggest a fix but i doubt it. I think i seriously bricked my friend's itouch. I've JB my iphone and two other itouchs using jailbreakme.com and one using Greenpoison with no problems. I've also had to use DFU on another iphone to downgrade the firmware so it could be JB. So i thought i do my friend a favor and JB her itouch. I was unsuccessful the first time i tried it wouldn't go into DFU no matter how many times i tried. I used every variaton you can find on the net to put it into DFU but no bingo.

So the next time i used Greenpoison. It started working on the second try to DFU and started the process of JB. After 10mins it stated that it failed and to try again. Thats when the trouble started. I couldn't turn the itouch on....tried the home/power reset hold. No response. Tried to put in recovery mode, no response. Tried to put in DFU mode , no response. Tried hooking up to laptop but the computer and ITunes didnt even register that the itouch was hooked up. Tried hooking up to other computers, no response. Tried charging with a wall charger for a day, no response. Tried looking for solutions on the net but none found. All i have is a black screen.

If someone can suggest a solution i would greatly appreciate it.

Forgot to mention it's an itouch2G 8Gig with 4.1 firmware.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Try plugging it in to the computer then holding the home button for at least 30 seconds, it can take a while sometimes. Were the home and power buttons working fine before this?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

vomit17 (2010-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You have appied too many jailbreaks on this ipod, do a restore to 4.1 again. If you get error 28, then you have to let the battery fully drain out before you can do any restore again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vomit17 (2010-11-17)

The home and power button was working before this. The only strange thing was it never could go into DFU. It would always go into sync mode on itunes when i tried to DFU. That's why i tried Greenpoison and it looked like it worked the second time and was DFU. Greenpoison then asked me to press the jailbreak button and i waited for 10mins then it stated failed and that's when the itouch was screwed. I've tried holding the buttons for different amount of time while connected to laptop but its just dead....nothing. Rebooted the laptop...same thing. Thanks for the reply.

The problem is i can't even get it into restore mode. It doesn't respond.
    Last edited by vomit17; 2010-11-17 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

In Dfu mode, Itunes shoud recognize and you can do a clean restore again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vomit17 (2010-11-17)

iYeow the problem is the itouch is not doing anything. I can't get it into Dfu mode. I've tried every variations of holding the power and home button for whatever number of seconds that people recommended but the itouch won't respond. Just dead. Thanks for the reply.

Is it under warranty?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Barquey For This Useful Post:

vomit17 (2010-11-18)

Yeah it's under warranty but i'm afraid Apple would figure out it's was an attempt to jailbreak it and make me pay for a new one.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If it isnt booting up then Apple wont figure out it was jailbroken. They pretty much just look for cydia when determining that so you should be fine taking it to them.

Ya, they cant tell unless it can turn on. Even if they got it to turn on, they would have to restore it. The worst they can say is we can't do anything because it is jailbroken.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Let the battery completely drain. I had a similar problem with my 3gs. I took it to an apple certified technician and he told me it was totally screwed. I took it home, and about a week later i decided to try a restore again for shits and giggles. It worked. My 3gs works just fine now.