Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone (2G) Recovery.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy iPhone (2G) Recovery.
    Hey,

I have my old iPhone 2G here which I now got back from my cousin who I lent it to. Unfortunately I made the mistake of Reseting All the Settings (was jailbroken).
    Since then it has only gotten to the Apple logo screen, sometimes with the spinning icon. Other times I have successfully gotten it into recovery mode through the DFU method, but unfortunately even then I get problems as iTunes reports Error 1600.
    Also at times as well the battery icon comes up on screen with the lightning bolt underneath. It would seem that it is not taking charge properly. (has been plugged in for at least an hour by the time I made this posting).

Is there anything I can do to recover this iPhone?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You are just trying to restore to a regular 3.1.3 right? Have you tried a different computer?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Replace your battery, your battery is done.

Put the iPhone in DFU (not Recovery) mode. DFU is the Recovery mode that allows you to reflash iOS without first booting the operating system in the phone - hence a black screen in this mode as opposed to an Apple logo.

Put it in DFU, iTunes should recognize, then reflash.

You should find DFU instructions at iClarified. Once again, mode WITHOUT an Apple logo.

Also if the phone is exhausted for being hung for so long, as long as you connect it to a USB cable, it will recharge itself and come back. You should see a red battery picture with a lightning bolt as long as it is recharging this way. Once it kicks out of this mode, it'll be hung (as usual). Feel free to put it in DFU as it is connected via USB with iTunes open.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Replace your battery, your battery is done.
    ya I was thinking the same thing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good news, I got it working again. Now finished recovering &being set back up. Thanks for all the advice though.

Sent from my iPhone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This was the article that helped by the way.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Thanks

So you were trying to restore to a custom firmware then? Or iReb just helped you get past that error even restoring to a stock firmware?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Was a custom firmware, it is a must that I be jailbroken to have caller id, etc.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Thanks

Aahh. Now that makes sense. Thats what I was asking in my first post. When restoring to a custom firmware that is a normal error to get if the iPhone is not properly prepared to accept a custom firmware (which is what iReb did for you). If trying to restore to a regular stock firmware and you get that error then you may have a bigger issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Aahh. Now that makes sense. Thats what I was asking in my first post. When restoring to a custom firmware that is a normal error to get if the iPhone is not properly prepared to accept a custom firmware (which is what iReb did for you). If trying to restore to a regular stock firmware and you get that error then you may have a bigger issue.
    Yea I noticed. That was the most problematic install of a firmware I ever had to deal with. Now got back the phone from my cousin.
    At 1st I thought it was white screened which I have been told was fatal as far as the screen goes. Then during that ordeal when I noticed the battery icon, a friend & I (to an extent) thought that the battery was done for (as was thought as well by previous posters) but thank God it all worked out in the end. iPhone's fine, battery's fine.

Sent from my iPhone 4