Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cannot enter DFU mode

Default Cannot enter DFU mode
    Reason why I jailbreaking: I am using an iphone 3G right now. It was previously jailbroken on 4.1 but I wanted to give this phone to someone so I was going to wipe everything clean. I was going to reinstall the custom firmware 4.1 on itunes through restore. The thing is I selected the wrong firmware when I was browsing for my ipsw and selected the stock original firmware instead. Now I've just unjailbroken + updated baseband.

So now I need to rejailbreak. I've tried both greenpois0n, limera1n and pwnage tool. None of them seem to detect my DFU mode. Either I am not going into DFU or it won't detect it. I've tried both windows and Mac. I know how to enter DFU mode. Followed exactly what it tells me (3 sec sleep, 10 second home + sleep, 15 home) with my device is turned off prior to this and plugged in. I've Googled and some people have the same issue with 3G. Couldn't find solution. I also tried the 7 second home + sleep, still didn't work.

I've had my phone since it was 1.0 fw and did all my jailbreak through DFU or recovery ever since so please don't tell me I must be doing my DFU incorrectly. This is the first time I can't enter in DFU with over 20 successive tried.

PS: The reason why I think I've successfully entered DFU mode is because when I am using windows, I can hear it detect my iphone while the screen was black.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Alright, Using a pc, run redsn0w 0.9.6b2 and check only put into dfu mode.
    When you are about to click next, click next the same time you hold the sleep button for 3 secs and then both button for 10 secs and then release the sleep/Power button for another 15 secs.
    I can give you the cfw of 4.1 for 3g.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Deviatorz (2010-11-14)

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Alright, Using a pc, run redsn0w 0.9.6b2 and check only put into dfu mode.
    When you are about to click next, click next the same time you hold the sleep button for 3 secs and then both button for 10 secs and then release the sleep/Power button for another 15 secs.
    I can give you the cfw of 4.1 for 3g.
    I managed to installed cfw. I think it was a driver issue with greenpois0n and limera1n. But now I have another problem. Cydia (which is installed) crashes upon opening (goes back to home in 2 seconds). I Googled and most of the fixes require SSH but I can't seem to access my root (I installed openSSH when making my cfw). any suggestions?

Thanks

Your best solution is to restore to another custom firmware which is not activated since you are with the official carrier.

Or you can just restore to stock 4.1 and then jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.6b1 or b2. Both will work.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-14 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for your help. For future references:

1. Remake cfw with default settings (no extra sources).
    2. Enter DFU then go to itunes and restore to custom firmware (I did this and selected stock fw by accident and not my cfw) if limera1n or greenpois0n or w/e new jailbreaking application released that doesn't use itunes fails to work.

Edit: I didn't use redsn0w because I need an unlock. But I get to use it now because of incompetence haha.

I have the same problem...

I have iPhone 3gs (ipad baseband) old bootrom and iPhone 4,
    Since I installed h1siri on 3gs(5.0) i cannot enter dfu mode (i am doing all right, because i tried on iphone 4 too and everything is fine)
    I downgraded to 4.3.3 and tried to jailbreak with redsn0w but dfu mode not working again, so i jailbreaked my phone with jailbreakme.com

Now i want to upgrade to 5.0.1 because of spire, and i cannot enter DFU mode
    Help please..
    Last edited by Bishop*; 2012-01-05 at 06:23 PM.

Upgraded to 5.0.1 still cannot enter DFU MODE

There is a way to put your iPhone in DFU mode. I'll show it to you in a moment. First:
    I have a problem that my lock button doesnt work, so I had to use the method I'm about to show you. After restoring to a custom firmware done with sn0wbreeze, I finally made it to restore to it with no errors and iTunes saying that it finished the restore correctly, but when the iPhone is rebooting with the apple logo with the loading bar beneath it nearly completed, it gets stuck there for some reason and I cant get it to complete the bar. Any help someone?

OK now with your problem. As I said, this method involves no buttons. It is not the typical one that people say without trying (I'm referring to this method: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/488...ke-button.html second post).

This one works 100%. This is the link to the tut: How to Enter DFU Mode Without Home or Power Button [Tutorial] | iPhoneBlogr.com Be careful, there must be two applelogo files, same size, copying them, but copying the name of the LLB file and pasting it to an applelogo file.

The thing is that once you are in the DFU mode loop you restore once more to a custom firmware. Here is where I get stuck, but cant understand why. Just at the end of the restore, even iTunes tells me it has finished. Need help with that.

If you made it to put your device in DFU mode, you may thank me
    Last edited by isacrack; 2012-01-06 at 02:39 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to isacrack For This Useful Post:

Bishop* (2012-01-06)

@isacrack

All my buttons are working, it's not problem at buttons..

Ok now, I editet 5.0.1 just like in tutorial, everything ok,
    Then I removed everything that contains gs.apple.com in hosts file..
    Opened iTunes, shift + restore, and I chose the ipsw that I editet, and just before the end of restoring, appeared an error..
    iphone went to black screen, My face was happy while i was thinking that I successfully entered the DFU mode..
    I opened last redsn0w, Extras > DFU.. and I arrived a big NOTHING, I am doing all right but I don't know what's the problem :S
    Now I have one more problem, I can't turn on my iphone, it shows just black screen...

My problem it's same like this http://modmyi.com/forums/redsn0w/741...hered-now.html
    Last edited by Bishop*; 2012-01-06 at 02:24 PM.

I know your problem is nothing related to buttons haha but this way of putting it in DFU mode works always, and as you couldnt put it in this mode...

Did error 37 appear? Because I think it did. This edition of the firmware that you did and then restored to it makes the iPhone go into a DFU mode loop. So, now you are in fact in DFU mode, hence your black screen.

The idea is that you now restore to a custom firmware done with sn0wbreeze for example, and you only have to put it in a pwned DFU state and then click on Shift+restore. To do this, unplug your iPhone, go to latest redsn0w, extras, pwned DFU and up to the screen where it says: Please make sure your device is both off... now keep it there and now it is the time to plug it in and put it in the pwned DFU mode.

After restore to the custom firmware done with sn0wbreeze, but be careful to do this firmware with the stock firmware, not the one you edited with the applelogo etc files.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to isacrack For This Useful Post:

Bishop* (2012-01-06)

Yes it was error 37...
    You are genius man, everything is as you said,
    but when im going to put in pwned DFU with latest redsn0w, No device detected... :/

in step 2: 5 sec, beep
    in step 3: 12 sec, beep beep beep.... :@
    Last edited by Bishop*; 2012-01-06 at 03:11 PM.

OK I think I know what you're saying. You must follow exactly the steps I said before:
    To do this, unplug your iPhone, go to latest redsn0w, extras, pwned DFU and up to the screen where it says: Please make sure your device is both off... now keep it there and now it is the time to plug it in and put it in the pwned DFU mode.
    If you continue reading this screen of redsn0w, it says in the last two lines "(If you already know how to enter DFU mode, you may do so right now from this screen without clicking next.)" Therefore there is no need to click next to follow ths steps to put it in DFU as you already have it in this mode. You must stay in this screen and once you are here, plug in your iPhone. Everything should go smoothly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to isacrack For This Useful Post:

Bishop* (2012-01-06)

Oh god, I'm feeling like an idiot !! And I know I'm booring

I am trying everything carefully, but nothing :S
    Can you record a quick video tutorial for me (this last step entering pwned mode), if you have free time sure.. ?
    Last edited by Bishop*; 2012-01-06 at 04:15 PM.

Today for some reason I feel willing to help. It is a very quick video tutorial. Hope it helps!

I just opened redsn0w, unpluged the iPhone in DFU mode, put it in the screen I told you, plugged it in and done!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to isacrack For This Useful Post:

Bishop* (2012-01-06)

Yep I understand you, and thanks a lot.
    But I see that you're iphone is in DFU mode, and mine it's not.. It's totally turned off, itunes can't detect even restore mode, that's the problem, I can't even try to restore again :/

Hmm strange. I think I can fix that. Maybe try editing correctly the firmware after. Something might have gone a bit wrong, but cant imagine what.

Look go to Index of /cra0kalo/software/ and download DFU_MODE2.zip that will help you to restore.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to isacrack For This Useful Post:

Bishop* (2012-01-06)

Quote Originally Posted by isacrack View Post
    Hmm strange. I think I can fix that. Maybe try editing correctly the firmware after. Something might have gone a bit wrong, but cant imagine what.

Look go to Index of /cra0kalo/software/ and download DFU_MODE2.zip that will help you to restore.
    hmm this program by Cra0kalo not helped me, something else that can turn on my phone, or i have to throw it ?

You never have to throw it haha I have ruined my phone seriously many times but always have found a way to fix it. What I have learnt from my iPhone is that it never gets bricked, thats only something that people who are not curious enough to find a way to fix it say. Search the internet and this forum, there is always an answer.

First, start by trying to reboot it manually. If not try for example TinyUmbrella to enter it in Recovery Mode. Just keep trying.
    Last edited by isacrack; 2012-01-06 at 06:31 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to isacrack For This Useful Post:

Bishop* (2012-01-06)

Quote Originally Posted by isacrack View Post
    You never have to throw it haha I have ruined my phone seriously many times but always have found a way to fix it. What I have learnt from my iPhone is that it never gets bricked, thats only something that people who are not curious enough to find a way to fix it say. Search the internet and this forum, there is always an answer.

First, start by trying to reboot it manually. If not try for example TinyUmbrella to enter it in Recovery Mode. Just keep trying.
    I can't enter in recovery mode with TU because iphone it's not even detected.. The only way to fix this is Google, i will continue to search for this, because here no one except you it's not interested to help me

Thanks

Can you manually enter recovery mode ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast