Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G reboot and cydia problems! ALSO NEED BASIC HELP!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 2G reboot and cydia problems! ALSO NEED BASIC HELP!
    Hi,
    first off, I am a simple normal mac enthusiast and iphone newbie, and all this SHSH talk and root talk is chinese to me and giving me a headache. Pls just assume I am a noob. A general idiot's guide to iphone would be helpful, is there such a thing?

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:
    got an iphone 2g from a friend, unlocked/jailbroke it with the insructions i found here
    How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X

worked like a charm, then got service today on Tmobile and was generally happy to play with my new toy. However, the cydia app is causing major trouble now as its stuck on "loading data" endlessly (when it finally stops I have to click okay on the error message and it tries to load again)!!!

concrete questions:
    A) how do i FORCE QUIT AN APP (ie CYDIA)? it seems bizarre to me that any app can seemingly run on forever... found some basic instruction with holding the home button 6 secs that didn't work.

B) how do I fix this cydia app issue? do i have to restore the whole iphone, and if so does that mean jailbreak again? I rebooted the phone, didnt work.

C) the jailbreak above seems a lil outdated perhaps? Cydia seems to cause issues lately from other threads i stumbled across (one IT expert ranted about them releasing flawed software). What is this program good for? is there a guide on how to use it? is there any HELP function for iphones?

D) is there a better way to jailbreak than above?

F) how do I access the system files in iphone ie shh? this is a great community but for newbies like me overwhelming, ie see idiots guide to iphone above would be really good :-)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS - shall i just buy a 3GS iphone, ie is this 2g phone too old now and bound to have many software issues? is the 3gs that much faster on tmobile? I am disappointed by the camera so far.
    Last edited by JBfilms; 2010-11-12 at 09:04 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Please edit your post about "free apps" and "app installers" as we don't discuss piracy here on MMi. Aside from that, welcome to MMi.

IMO, iPhone 2G (even 3G now) is becoming outdated. Great phones as they are (because they are still iPhones), the hardware is just not as great as the 3GS and 4. You could, however, restore your 2G and rejailbreak it. Chances are, Cydia is acting up because the jailbreak might have not completely installed correctly. Just download a stock 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw, shift+restore to the 3.1.3 ipsw then jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.4 (point at the 3.1.2 ipsw). To unlock, in Cydia select "Unlock".

Upgrading to the 3GS would be awesome though You'll notice a large performance improvement, including Cydia loading much faster.

As for SSHing, basic needs from Cydia is OpenSSH and afc2add. Now find the SSH client you find best for you. WinSCP is a popular one, that's the one I use. Some people like USB-based clients such as iFunBox, iPhoneBrowser, DiskAid, etc. WinSCP takes a bit of set up, whereas the USB-based clients are just a simple click. Google up WinSCP and iPhone SSH if you want to try the wifi-based client. If not, simply get OpenSSH and make sure you have afc2add so the USB-based client(s) can work.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-12 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

JBfilms (2010-11-12)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks, cydia at some point got through the numerous hangups, though I still have no idea really what to do with it. ie the apps don't come with much description, is there a way to browse them on computer first?

also, how do i remove an app? I installed some lame laser game, which is now not removable ie no x when i hold it (researched this as standard removal of apps), ie ipod thinks it's part of original system?

do all cydia games or apps get that? im afraid i'll clutter up my phone just to try out apps i may not want.