Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I know which Jailbreak / Unlocked Method to use? Multiple Phones (3G, 3GS)

Default How do I know which Jailbreak / Unlocked Method to use? Multiple Phones (3G, 3GS)
    Hi guys,

I have a few iPhones that I want to jailbreak and unlock. My personal iPhone is a 4, but I also have a couple 3GS phones and a 3G phone I need to JB / UL. I'm a little unsure of which methods to use on which phone. This is what I can gather so far:

iPhone4:

use tinyumbrella to backup blobs, option-restore to vanilla 4.1, kick out of recovery when itunes errors, jailbreak with greenpo1son, unlock with ultrasn0w.

iPhone 3GS and 3G:

use tinyumbrella to backup blobs, then run pwnagetool 4.1.2 and create a custom FW. option-restore to pwnagetool's 4.1 FW and then run ultrasn0w once it finishes.

Am I right in thinking that the 3GS will not unlock using tinyumbrella-> vanilla4.1 -> greenpo1son? Are these the easiest ways you guys have found? Am I missing any steps? Any help would be appreciated, as I almost just used the tinyumbrella method on a 3GS and caught it at the last second. I'd hate to mess something up and be stuck for a while. I need them to be unlocked as the only phone I can use on ATT is the one I'm actively using in the states.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

You are right with your methods although I would suggest just use pwnage tool for all of them, even the iPhone 4.

Question question to unlock iphone 4
    Hey there,

I want to ask several question since I am a newbie.

I want to unlock my iphone 4 with:
    iOs Version: 4.0 (8A293)
    Modem Firnware: 01.59.00
    iTunes: 9.2
    Computer: PC Windows 7

I already activated and using it for months but I have to go back to my home country,thus, I would like to unlock this iphone 4.

Correct me if I'm wrong. So the step to unlock follows:

1. Use tiny umbrella (the latest ver (4.21.01) to store my SHSH in cydia.
    2. Jailbreak it using green poison or limera1n.
    3. Go to Cydia and find ultrasnow to unlock it.

Here is the questions:
    1.Does Pwnage tools better for jailbreaking, do they have it in Windows?
    2.Which jailbreaking method is the best; greenpoison vs limera1n?
    3. People said that if you hacktivate the device, it will disturb the 3g, mms, push notification, etc. But if I already activated it using the official ATT sim, will this things gonna happen especially if I am going to use it with different network?
    4. How to update to iOs 4.1 once you unlocked the iphone 4 and keep it unlock, do I have to re-do everyhting once I update the iphone Ios 4.1 in itunes?
    5. Tiny umbrella will save iphone 4 baseband until iOs 4.1 not the iOs 4.2.1?

Sorry for the questions! But I am really appreciate it if you can help. Thank you very much

Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks

1. Pwnage tool is the best IMO but it is Mac only
    2. I have had less trouble with Limera1n personally but others would probably say different.
    3. You are already activated so dont need hacktivation
    4. You can go to 4.1 and preserve your baseband by using a custom 4.1 made with pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze or you can use the tiny umbrella method for preserving baseband. This method only works for going to 4.1 not 4.2.1.
    5. Correct.

The fastest and easiest thing you can do is use limera1n on 4.0 (greenpoison doesnt work on 4.0). Install cydia then install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-11-27 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

x-maniax (2010-11-28)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

[QUOTE=x-maniax;5609163]Hey there,

I want to ask several question since I am a newbie.

I want to unlock my iphone 4 with:
    iOs Version: 4.0 (8A293)
    Modem Firnware: 01.59.00
    iTunes: 9.2
    Computer: PC Windows 7

I already activated and using it for months but I have to go back to my home country,thus, I would like to unlock this iphone 4.

Correct me if I'm wrong. So the step to unlock follows:

1. Use tiny umbrella (the latest ver (4.21.01) to store my SHSH in cydia.
    2. Jailbreak it using green poison or limera1n.
    3. Go to Cydia and find ultrasnow to unlock it.

You might as well restore to custom firmware of 4.1 to preserve your baseband if it is not factory unlock.
    Here is the questions:

1.Does Pwnage tools better for jailbreaking, do they have it in Windows?
    Pwnage tools is for Mac users.

2.Which jailbreaking method is the best; greenpoison vs limera1n?
    Both are the same to jailbreak at IOS 4.1

3. People said that if you hacktivate the device, it will disturb the 3g, mms, push notification, etc. But if I already activated it using the official ATT sim, will this things gonna happen especially if I am going to use it with different network?
    As long as it is unlocked, you are good to go.

4. How to update to iOs 4.1 once you unlocked the iphone 4 and keep it unlock, do I have to re-do everyhting once I update the iphone Ios 4.1 in itunes?
    Yes, you have to redo everything once you decided to do a restore or update

5. Tiny umbrella will save iphone 4 baseband until iOs 4.1 not the iOs 4.2.1?
    Tiny Umbrella will save shsh blogs not baseband.

Sorry for the questions! But I am really appreciate it if you can help. Thank you very much
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-27 at 03:09 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

x-maniax (2010-11-28)

Thanks

I'm sorry to add a third post--this may be a touch confusing.

1) PwnageTool is Mac-only, yes. However, I can make a restore file and link you to a non-activated 4.1 IPSW to restore to via iTunes with redsn0w's or greenpois0n's help.

2) While both greenpois0n and limera1n are fine tools for jailbreaking, I have to recommend a PwnageTool-made custom IPSW.

3) If you have an AT&T SIM, you can activate legitimately. There will be no need to hacktivate. I /strongly/ recommend you keep that SIM card even after you leave the country--it will activate your phone no matter what.

4) All content (music, photos, e-mail accounts, etc.), Apple Store apps, and Cydia tweaks must be reinstalled after any restore or update. Content and App Store apps will be synced over by iTunes after restore, Cydia stuff must generally be re-downloaded manually on the phone.

5) Using TinyUmbrella correctly (starting the TSS server, without any errors on port 80) will keep your baseband at 01.59.00 no matter what version of iOS you restore to (PwnageTooled 4.1, stock 4.1, or stock 4.2.1). However, currently devices that are restored to stock 4.2.1 using TinyUmbrella cannot be reliably booted at this time. Therefore, I /strongly/ advise you only restore to a stock or PwnageTool'ed version of 4.1.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

x-maniax (2010-11-28)

Thank you guys for the response,

Orbyorb,

1) PwnageTool is Mac-only, yes. However, I can make a restore file and link you to a non-activated 4.1 IPSW to restore to via iTunes with redsn0w's or greenpois0n's help.

You can give this in Windows version? What is the advantage of pwnage tool compare with limera1n?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Pwnage tool will create a firmware that will keep your unlock safe by creating a new package that has your old baseband in it. Limera1n can't.

Hello guys,

I have further questions, I was trying to save my SHSH using tiny umbrella V4.21.01. However, they say something like this:

This device isn't eligible for the request build/
    CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone 4.0 (8a293) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

later on the displays:

You have saved your iPhone4 4.2.1 (8C148) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia homepage showing this version.

Thus, I am wondering what does it mean,
    1. Is it that I only can restore or downgrade from the 4.2.1 later on?

2. And I am running the iOs 4.0, would I be able to jailbreak using limera1n and ultrasnow to unlock?

3. What the enter recovery and exit recover means in tiny umbrella?

4. In my situation would I still be able to update to iOs 4.1 without upgrading the baseband using the tiny umbrella method and unlock it?

I really confuse and need direction, thank you if you guys can help me.

pwnage tool is very good, I also like to use it.
    But recently I have just jailbroken my iPhone 4 perfectly by following this guide "Jailbreak iPhone 4 iOS 4.1 with GreenPois0n on Mac" in iFunia iPhone column.

Back to the point,
    And I am running the iOs 4.0, would I be able to jailbreak using limera1n and ultrasnow to unlock?
    yes, you can.
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
    How to Delete Duplicates in iPhoto

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x-maniax View Post
    Hello guys,

I have further questions, I was trying to save my SHSH using tiny umbrella V4.21.01. However, they say something like this:

This device isn't eligible for the request build/
    CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone 4.0 (8a293) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

later on the displays:

You have saved your iPhone4 4.2.1 (8C148) SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia homepage showing this version.

Thus, I am wondering what does it mean,
    1. Is it that I only can restore or downgrade from the 4.2.1 later on?

2. And I am running the iOs 4.0, would I be able to jailbreak using limera1n and ultrasnow to unlock?

3. What the enter recovery and exit recover means in tiny umbrella?

4. In my situation would I still be able to update to iOs 4.1 without upgrading the baseband using the tiny umbrella method and unlock it?

I really confuse and need direction, thank you if you guys can help me.

It means you will only be able to restore to 4.2.1 until a method of restoring without SHSH is released.

Hey guys,

I have another questions. As I am reading the post, I am wondering to use my sister Mac and use the pwnage tool.

My question:

1. Can I create custom firmware of iOs 4.1 using pwnage tool? Will this update the baseband?
    2. Then can I transfer the custom firmware and run redsnow in windows to jailbreak it,then use/browse the custom firmware in redsnow to jailbreak it instead of the restore firmware, does this method work and will it update the baseband?
    3.After that I only need ultrasnow from cydia to unlock it?

I am confuse which method should I use, Pwnage tool or limera1n, since I am not sure which one will preserve the baseband. I am still original iphone 4 user with iOs 4.0 and baseband 01.59.00. I would like to jailbreak and unlock it.

Thank you! Please help me!

Thanks

Pwnage tool custom firmware will preserve baseband as long as you say no to the iPad baseband part.

Yes you can use that custom firmware on windows. Use redsnow to enter pwned dfu then restore to the custom one in iTunes.

Thanks

Hey guys,

I have another questions. As I am reading the post, I am wondering to use my sister Mac and use the pwnage tool.

My question:

1. Can I create custom firmware of iOs 4.1 using pwnage tool? Will this update the baseband?

Yes, you can and it will not update your BB

2. Then can I transfer the custom firmware and run redsnow in windows to jailbreak it,

You run redsn0w to put you in DFU mode, not jailbreak it.

then use/browse the custom firmware in redsnow to jailbreak it instead of the restore firmware, does this method work and will it update the baseband?

You browse to stock firmware, not custom firmware.
    3.After that I only need ultrasnow from cydia to unlock it?

I am confuse which method should I use, Pwnage tool or limera1n, since I am not sure which one will preserve the baseband. I am still original iphone 4 user with iOs 4.0 and baseband 01.59.00. I would like to jailbreak and unlock it.

Then when you are in DFU mode, open up itunes and shift + restore and browse to CFW of 4.1
    Thank you! Please help me!

Alternative Method, fast and easy.

Run tiny umbrella ,select your device and the 4.1 shsh blob. Start Tss Server : Run itunes , shift + restore to stock4.1 ipsw.
    Let it restore until you hit error 1004.
    Use Exit recovery to kick it out.
    Put your official sim in or jailbreak it with Limera1n at IOS 4.1
    Your 1.59 is being preserved this way to unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-12-17 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Hey guys,

Run tiny umbrella ,select your device and the 4.1 shsh blob. Start Tss Server : Run itunes , shift + restore to stock4.1 ipsw.
    Let it restore until you hit error 1004.
    Use Exit recovery to kick it out.
    Put your official sim in or jailbreak it with Limera1n at IOS 4.1
    Your 1.59 is being preserved this way to unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    Well, I just run tiny umbrella recently and only can save shsh 4.2.1. So I can not do this method right?

If we use redsnow and browse the restore firmware 4.1, won't this method will update the baseband? or it will just to get into dfu mode and we will load the custom firmware 4,1 later so the baseband will stay the same?

Thanks

Redsn0w will not restore anything. If you don't have 4.1 blob, then you cannot restore to 4.1 using TU to verify to preserve your Baseband.

Hey guys,

I did the PWNAGE Tool Method, but it didnt work out.
    I create the custom firmware of 4.1, but when I am in DFU mode and press alt/option+restore it did work out but itunes say error like this:

The iphone "iphone" could not be restored. this device isn't eligible for the requested build.

I am confuse what does it means?

I am using iphone 4 in FW 4.0 with baseband 1.59.00.
    I dont have SHSH blobs 4.0,4.1,
    I only able to save shsh in 4.2.1

Does it means I wont be eligible to use pwnage tool to jailbreak and my last option to jailbreak is using limera1n?

Thanks you

Thanks

It means you cant restore to 4.1 because you dont have SHSH

Then can I use the restore ISPW 4.1 to update iphone to 4.1 and then jailbreak it using limera1n?

OR should I just stay with iOs 4.0 and just jailbreak it using limera1n and unlock it with ultrasnow?

Thanks

You can't restore to 4.1 if you don't have SHSH. If you try you will be forced to 4.2.1. If you are on 4.0 now then use limera1n to jailbreak.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

x-maniax (2010-12-20)