Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade iPhone 4 iOS4.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Upgrade iPhone 4 iOS4.1
    So I am looking to update my iPhone 4 to 4.1 [or more than likely 4.2] and I know the process involves the TSS server from TinyUmbrella to preserve the baseband and using iTunes to upgrade the OS.

However, since I am looking to unlock, and I am not on ATT, I want to know what the process involves when it comes to activation. I know the iPhone needs an ATT sim to be activated, but I do not have one.

Well I do, but not a micro SIM.

What are my options to get through the activation?

I also know sometimes if you don't use an ATT sim, push notifications and YT and things of the nature won't work properly.

Thoughts?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you wanna go to 4.1, get TinyUmbrella and run the TSS server. Then shift+restore to a stock 4.1 ipsw. That will preserve the baseband as long as the TSS server is running. Then jailbreak with either limera1n or greenpois0n and unlock with Ultrasn0w in Cydia.

This is the easiest method if you don't have a Mac. If you do have a Mac, create a custom 4.1 fw with PwnageTool and shift+restore to it in iTunes.

You can also do this on Windows, it just takes a couple extra steps. First you'll have to find a custom 4.1 ipsw created by Pwnagetool (I don't trust the ones floating around on the web so I'd suggest method 1 above, or finding someone who can create the custom fw here on MMi--like westonben). Then get Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to set your phone in DFU (but not to complete the jb process since it won't work on iP4) before doing the shift+restore to the custom 4.1 firmware. Unlock as usual in Cydia with ultrasn0w.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

Just cut down the ATT sim to microsim size and you should be fine. If you dont want to do that all the current jailbreaks can hacktivate. After done just install push doctor from cydia to fix push notifications.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

With the 4.2 release, there might be a couple days before a new jb is announced to be used, and I'm not sure the TU method will work too to go to 4.2. So if you want 4.2, expect to wait a couple days after the release to see if TU can still be used and what jb tools can jb 4.2. It's likely it won't take long tho for these things to be confirmed. So you can either follow my steps now to update to 4.1, or wait for the 4.2 release (which people say is Friday but it isn't confirmed 100% so expect a week more just in case).

Edit: to answer the push question, on iOS 4, currently none of the push fixes work. So push will be broken if hacktivated (no AT&T SIM). YouTube can be fixed tho. Installing the repo "Cydia.pushfix.info" will allow you to download the YouTube fix.

@x98car, correct me if I'm wrong please, had there been an update for the pushdoctor or pushfix for fixing push on iOS 4?
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-10 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

As far as I know push doctor works fine on 4.0 and up. I will look into it to make sure though.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Great thanks, let me know

Thanks

Just got confirmation from cmdshft on twitter that push doctor works fine on 4.1.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (2010-11-10)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Cool, thanks for the confirmation

Green Apple
    Thanks
    yeah you can use that att sim you have and just trim it down. use your current micro sim to trace and be careful obviously. or you can use pwnage tool to bypass the activation and whatnot last time i checked.