Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Upgrade Questions

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3G Upgrade Questions
    I have an iPhone 3G model MB704LL running 3.1.3 (7E18) and modem firmware 05.12.01. I have jailbroken the phone using Jailbrakeme.com then unlocked the phone using ultrasn0w. I would like to upgrade the ios to version 4.2 but I am afraid that I may damage the phone or, in some way, lock it so that it cannot be jailbroken again or unlocked.

First, can anyone tell me if I can move to 4.2 and still be able to Jailbrake and Unlock?
    Second, if I can, what are the steps I need to take to do the upgrade then jailbrake and finally unlock?

Would it be easier and safer to use a service to do this, I see on this website advertising for iphone-unlocker-pro.com. Has anyone used this service and is it reputable?
    I was thinking that I would allow iTunes to upgrade my ios to 4.2 then paying iphone-unlocker-pro.com to jailbrake and unlock the phone.

Help, I really donít know which way to turn, any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Since 4.2 is not out yet that would be a no. What you should probably do is just wait for it to be released. Once it is then the unlock for it should be out soon after as well as the jailbreak. So just hold tight for now and wait for everything to come out to support it and then make the jump.

Also dont pay any sites to unlock for you. This is the site you should be concerned with: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
    And the site you are on right now of course

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the advice, I will wait.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok, based on the original question can I now update the ios to the latest and unlock the phone?
    I am sorry, but I can't seem to understand the postings on various forums, maybe someone can point me to a forum that I can follow to see when and how I can accomplish what I want to do. I read the Dev-Teams postings but they are not clear in my mind. They start writing about the 3G and 3GS then switch to 3G then to then back to 3GS without giving a clear transition.
    Help, Please.