Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbreak my iphone 4 w/ 4.1

Default jailbreak my iphone 4 w/ 4.1
    Hey guys, I just got an iPhone 4 with 4.1 already on it (from Telus).

Up until now I've had an iPod Touch 1g running 3.1.3 and have been jailbreaking it without any problems. The whole "phone" part of my iPhone is new to me, not to mention the new OS. I've been doing a bit of searching on the net and found that Green Pois0n and limerain can both jailbreak 4.1 iphones, but unlocking is currently not possible if I have baseband 02.10.04 (which I do).

I'm still a little confused with the whole baseband stuff. If I don't intend to switch carriers (anytime soon), I don't need to unlock my iphone, correct? In other words, can I jailbreak my iPhone without needing to unlock, and if I do jailbreak and an unlock becomes available, will I be able to apply that unlock to my iPhone if necessary? Which tool is best for jailbreaking it, greenpois0n or limerain? The problem with jailbreaking is that between personal blogs and youtube, everyone and their baby sister are releasing jailbreaking guides and a lot of them are very different from each other.

What other concerns should I know about before jailbreaking this iPhone? I read something about backing up SHSH before the 4.2 upgrade is released, but I don't know what SHSH is, why I need to back it up, do I need to back it up before jailbreaking 4.1 or if it even applies to my specific iPhone.

All info is appreciated by an i"PHONE" n00b.

EDIT: question about iTunes, I currently have v9.1 installed and I cannot sync with my iPhone 4.1 because it requires 9.2+. I read a while back NOT to upgrade to 9.2, but does that still apply?
    Last edited by atomicrabbit; 2010-11-08 at 03:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yes, you will need itunes 9.2 or later itunes 10 is fine.
    Do the jailbreak with Limera1n or Greepoison RC4 at 4.1
    You can backup all your stuffs in case you need to restore to 4.1 again.
    Don't worry about shsh blogs, once you have jailbroken your iphone, when you first open Cydia, make sure you click make my life easier, then all future shsh blogs will be saved.
    When jailbreaking with Limera1n or GP, since you are already at 4.1, you do not need a restore again.
    If you bought your iphone 4 from Telus,Canada then your iphone should be factory unlocked meaning, you can use any gsm and you need not have to worry about the baseband.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-08 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Yes, you will need itunes 9.2 or later itunes 10 is fine.
    Will 10 be ok with my 1st gen iPod Touch running 3.1.3?

You can backup all your stuffs in case you need to restore to 4.1 again.
    Do you mean before or after I jailbreak?

If you bought your iphone 4 from Telus,Canada then your iphone should be factory unlocked meaning, you can use any gsm and you need not have to worry about the baseband.
    Yes I did get it from Telus Mobility in Canada. I didn't know they were factory unlocked. Good to know.
    EDIT: Are you sure? I'm looking at craiglist at used Telus iPhone 4's and they all say "Locked to Telus"
    Last edited by atomicrabbit; 2010-11-08 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks

You can check if it is factory unlock by restoring again & put a differest sim in it.

iTunes 10 is fine with iPod 1st gen
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-08 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If your iPod is jailbroken using spirit for 3.1.3, iTunes 10 is not compatible.
    If I helped you in any way please click the THANKS! button below.

Even if you just want to click it for fun, go ahead, have fun.

And to know for sure if it's factory unlocked just call Telus and give them the phone info. They will know for sure.
    If I helped you in any way please click the THANKS! button below.

Even if you just want to click it for fun, go ahead, have fun.

I used redsn0w to jailbreak my ipod touch on 3.1.3. iTunes 10 is ok with that, right?

What phone info do I give telus, and who's to say that they won't just tell me that it's locked to them even if it's not.

Or go to the apple website where it let's you check if you have a warranty and then put in the serial number. It will then say what kind of device it is and what carriers that it is locked to. That really is the quickest way.

Thanks

If the iphone 4 comes from Canada, then it is definitely factory unlock.

Yeah that is true.^
    Last edited by Stray; 2010-11-09 at 02:06 AM. Reason: I wanted to.

Thanks

Alot of sellers don't even know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahaninja32 View Post
    Or go to the apple website where it let's you check if you have a warranty and then put in the serial number. It will then say what kind of device it is and what carriers that it is locked to. That really is the quickest way.

Does that mean it's locked to those 4 canadian carriers? I was reading a bit of Telus iPhones and it seems like iPhones from them are not truly factory unlocked. Or maybe the information I read was wrong....

btw, is this a good guide to follow to jailbreak my phone?
    How to Jailbreak Firmware 4.1 iPhone 3GS/4, iPad, iPod Touch 3G/4G with greenpois0n

or should I use limera1n? A lot of the comments on that page are a bit negative saying that it's complicated and sometimes doesn't work.

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of talk about tethered/untethered. Until about 10 min ago, I had no idea what that was, especially having been jailbreaking my iPod touch for a few years now. Are both the limera1n and green poins0n methods of jailbreaking my iPhone UNtethered? Also, will those methods jailbreak while leaving the information currently on my iPhone, or will it restore my iPhone with a jailbroken, fresh firmware?
    Last edited by atomicrabbit; 2010-11-09 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks

Today, I just bought an Iphone 4 in Canada and jailbreak with Limera1n, works like a charm.

is it untethered?

And will the limera1n jailbreak keep all my currently loaded apps and settings? Or will I have to reload everything?

Thanks

Of course , it is untethered. Everytime when you do a restore, you will have to load back everything again, and this is normal.
    As you know, Apple doesn't permit jailbreak, so even if you do an update, it will wipe out all jailbroken stuffs.
    Give me your model number, i will check if your iphone comes from Canada

My model number doesn't even show up on the websites, probably not updated. But my model number is MC605C.

Ok, there is a way to test it, since you have preserve your baseband, do another restore again with TU, then without any jailbreaking, insert a Rogers micro sim, you will know right away.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-09 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I know everytime I restore, I'll have to reload everything, but I'm asking if the limera1n method restores or if it simply jailbreaks on the fly similar to jailbreakme?

btw, my model is the same as yours. MC605C
    Last edited by atomicrabbit; 2010-11-09 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks

Your model is exactly like mine, the good news is you have the factory unlock. So don't worry about your baseband, let it update, leave your sim to activate and do the jailbreak.

Limera1n is also like spirit jailbreak. Go for it, it works

It only takes like 2 mins to jailbreak.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-09 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

let it update to what?

Thanks

You still don't get it, you don't have to preserve your baseband by using TU.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Click update on iTunes to 4.1 then jailbreak with Limera1n or Greenpois0n. Neither tools work like jailbreakme. You have to have a computer to do all of this is what that means. The jb tools work on the computer with your device plugged in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast