Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there any reason for me to stay on 4.0? && Why can't I restore 4.0? [3gs]

Default Is there any reason for me to stay on 4.0? && Why can't I restore 4.0? [3gs]
    I'm currently jailbroken on 4.0, which means I would assume the blobs are on file. (I've also run tinyumbrella)

However when I try to restore an original 4.0 rom I get 'an unknown error occurred (3194)'

Why can't I restore 4.0?
    Should I just go ahead and restore to 4.1?

*NOTE: I'm using an officially activated ipad unlimited data plan sim card in my iphone. Not sure if that matters.

Thanks!

I'm also a little confused why tinyumbrella says the only blob it has is 4.1, when it's a jailbroken iphone on 4.0?
    Last edited by willpower101; 2010-11-08 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You have to save your shsh while apple is still signing that firmware. Right now their signing 4.1. Even if you aren't running 4.1 it will save it for you. This is why it is so critical to save while apple is still signing the firmware.

You will have to restore to 4.1. No way around it. Sorry
    If I helped you in any way please click the THANKS! button below.

Even if you just want to click it for fun, go ahead, have fun.

Gotcha. Thanks for the succinct reply, my head was spinning with info from reading the last hour or so.

So since the ipad sim is on att anyway, It shouldn't matter that I can't unlock right?

Actually IF he is an official carrier (which means he doesnt rely on an unlock). He can restore to a factory Apple 4.1 (while he still can). Then he can jailbreak with limera1n or greenpois0n, which will exploit his bootrom. THEN, he can just rely on custom firmware from there on out. No need to do an official firmware update once he is capable of restoring to a custom firmware.....However, he must exploit his bootrom or he cant even do custom firmware.

I WOULD ONLY DO THIS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A NEED FOR AN UNLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If u need an unlock, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
    No signature spam or links

I have no experience using iPad sims to activate but I'll help the best I can.

Did you need to use an unlock on 4.0.1? If not then you should be fine with using greenpoison and that's it.

If you needed to unlock then I believe pwnage tool is your best bet for upgrading. It will preserve your baseband which will allow previous unlock methods to work forever as long as you use pwnage in the future.

I prefer using pwnage tool even if you don't need an unlock because your phone is more valuable for resale if it can be unlocked.

Hope this helps
    If I helped you in any way please click the THANKS! button below.

Even if you just want to click it for fun, go ahead, have fun.