Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs on 3.1.3

Default Iphone 3gs on 3.1.3
    Hey all,

I live in the US and purchased a 3gs with AT&T a good year and a half ago or so, and haven't updated or anything since then. I've been interested in doing a jailbreak, and from what I've read there are probably some things I'll want to do before I try.

I've done a backup in iTunes.
    Model: MC136LL/A
    Firmware: 3.1.3
    Baseband: 05.12.01-6.4_M3S2

I don't think I'm going to need to unlock it, but you never know.

I'm afraid I will forget to do/save something before I attempt a jailbreak, and sounds like I'll never get it back. i.e. my baseband version and SHSH blobs which I'm not sure I fully understand.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you have not jailbroken your iphone yet at 3.1.3, if you jailbreak now, you can only save 4.1 shsh blogs.
    If you want to preserve your baseband, then you have to restore to custom firmware created either by Pwnagae tools or Snowbreeze 2.0.2. Leave your official sim card in the phone throughout the process. Before you restore to custom firmware, you need to update your itunes to 10, run Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 (PC user) or Pwnage tools (Mac user) to put you only into DFU mode and then you can do the shift + Restore to custom firmware.
    If you don't really need an unlock, then you can just restore to stock 4.1 and jailbreak with Limera1n or GreenPoison.

Well preserving my baseband is for in case I want to use this phone on another carrier, right?

What do I need to do in case I want to restore my phone to the way it is currently? 3.1.3 and 05.12.01-6.4_M3S2
    Is there any reason I would want to do that rather than just use stock 4.1?

The only reason I'm so skeptical is that I'm happy with how the phone works now, and I'm worried that after tinkering, I'll never be able to revert to what I started with. Will a simple iTunes backup do that?

Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I don't think you can restore to stock 3.1.3 again because you will not have the shsh blogs to restore. Why don't you restore to custom firmware of 4.1 created by Pwnage tools 4.1.2 or Snowbreeze 2.0.2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Kura (2010-11-07)

Thanks a ton for your quick replies! Will hit the thanks button.