Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade problem

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Upgrade problem
    Hey I got a question. I just bought a 3GS from craigslist model MC136LL on FW 3.1.2. The phone is unlocked, and when I check on cydia there are SHSH's save for 4.1 and nothing else. My question is how can I get to 4.x? I dont want to use 3.1.2. Ive tried iH8Sn0w to make custom firmware but I get 1604 3194 errors all the time no matter what I try. Is there any advice? Oh and btw, I rely on an unlock.
    Thanks.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm assuming you're on Windows. Looks like the only fw you can upgrade to is 4.1. You were on the right track about using Sn0wbreeze, however, you need to find out if the device is new or old boot. If it is old boot, sn0wbreeze will work. It will work if your device is jailbroken by blackra1n. If it wasn't jailbroken with blackra1n but with Spirit for instance, or even jailbreakme, the custom fw won't work.

So, assuming you don't know what the jb tool was used on your device, PwnageTool is what you want. I'm assuming you don't have a Mac, so you'll need to search the web for a custom 4.1 fw made by PwnageTool. There's a user on here (I think it's westonben, so if you can find him...) who is willing to create the custom fw for users.

You'll wanna get the latest version of Redsn0w (think it is 0.9.6b2) so you can allow it to set your phone into DFU mode. You don't wanna skip this step and just do DFU on your own, cuz you'll just error out during the restore. So get redsn0w to do it. Then shift+restore to the custom 4.1 fw in iTunes. Then unlock with Ultrasn0w in Cydia.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I'm assuming you're on Windows. Looks like the only fw you can upgrade to is 4.1. You were on the right track about using Sn0wbreeze, however, you need to find out if the device is new or old boot. If it is old boot, sn0wbreeze will work. It will work if your device is jailbroken by blackra1n. If it wasn't jailbroken with blackra1n but with Spirit for instance, or even jailbreakme, the custom fw won't work.

So, assuming you don't know what the jb tool was used on your device, PwnageTool is what you want. I'm assuming you don't have a Mac, so you'll need to search the web for a custom 4.1 fw made by PwnageTool. There's a user on here (I think it's westonben, so if you can find him...) who is willing to create the custom fw for users.

You'll wanna get the latest version of Redsn0w (think it is 0.9.6b2) so you can allow it to set your phone into DFU mode. You don't wanna skip this step and just do DFU on your own, cuz you'll just error out during the restore. So get redsn0w to do it. Then shift+restore to the custom 4.1 fw in iTunes. Then unlock with Ultrasn0w in Cydia.

F0recast says (Tethered?:Maybe Depends on refurb) and Im guessing it is jb with spirit because when the phone boots, there are those white lines on the top part of the screen along with the apple logo.

Confirmed as a New Bootrom.
    Last edited by harutik_11; 2010-11-07 at 11:15 AM.

Give me a minute :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

harutik_11 (2010-11-07)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Give me a minute :-)
    Wow that was quick, Thanks a bunch!!!

Just remember to put your phone in DFU mode using redsnow before you shift restore to the custom firmware (as Annie already said).

Also, only for info, those white lines (are they just a row of pixels?) probably mean it was jailbroken with jailbreakme.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-11-07 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just remember to put your phone in DFU mode using redsnow before you shift restore to the custom firmware (as Annie already said).

Also, only for info, those white lines (are they just a row of pixels?) probably mean it was jailbroken with jailbreakme.
    Yea there are about 3 rows of them. Does that change anything if its jailbroken with jbme?

No it will make no difference what it's jailbroken with.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No it will make no difference what it's jailbroken with.
    First attempt got itunes error 2005. (I did redsnow DFU, but I used an iphone 4 ispw since i didnt have one for a 3gs, downloading 3gs ispw to set up redsnow dfu)
    Trying again...

Heck, just use the correct firmware for your device!

The one I sent you will work 100%. It's on about 10 phones now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Heck, just use the correct firmware for your device!

The one I sent you will work 100%. It's on about 10 phones now.
    Redsn0w isnt recognizing it, Im trying to put the phone on DFU thru redsn0w like you guys said.

Im still getting errors.
    Since your custom fw isnt being recognized by redsnow, im using the original 4.1 to enable dfu. Once im in DFU im Shift+Restoring the custom fw and im still getting errors. This time error 1600
    Last edited by harutik_11; 2010-11-07 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

All you should be using redsnow for is to put your phone in DFU mode and nothing else. There should be no need for firmware at this stage. Once it's in DFU close redsnow and do the shift restore to the file I sent the link for.

"Just enter pwned DFU mode right now”
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-11-07 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All you should be using redsnow for is to put your phone in DFU mode and nothing else. There should be no need for firmware at this stage. Once it's in DFU close redsnow and do the shift restore to the file I sent the link for.
    Yes, but in order to access redsnow, i need to select a fw.

And when I choose you custom firmware, I get this error.

I dont know how else to set DFU without getting through this screen other than using an original apple fw.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that, not heard that was necessary. I guess you are going to need a copy of the stock 3GS 4.1 firmware.

Got a link?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, I wasn't aware of that, not heard that was necessary. I guess you are going to need a copy of the stock 3GS 4.1 firmware.

Got a link?
    I have it on my desktop.
    After I set up DFU using the stock fw, I use Itunes Shift+Restore and end up error 1600

Here is a link for the STOCK 4.1 from apple:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...7_Restore.ipsw

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here is a link for the STOCK 4.1 from apple:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...7_Restore.ipsw
    I already have it.

Yes, It worked!
    Thanks to Anniex423 and westonben, you guys are the best!!!
    Good ppl!
    Last edited by harutik_11; 2010-11-07 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What got it working?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Wow, all solved before I woke up

I think it was user error. Some sort of confusion during the process. I wish I was awake to fix it lol. But you did awesome westonben

Glad you got it going harutik_11

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks guys, It was a user error.
    Even though I set "pwned DFU mode right now," the final step where it loads l1mera1n, I would panic and exit out of the application thinking it was going to upgrade to the stock 4.1 (couldnt afford to upgrade baseband because I need a temp iphone and this was supposed to be it). So this final time I decided to just let it do its thing, and to my surprise, I was exiting out on the most important step

Anyways, it was a user error, and Im glad you guys helped me.
    I didnt want to be stuck on 3.1.2
    It was 4:30am and I was getting frustrated

Thx again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast