Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 28 when I tried to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to 4.1, Please Help Me

Default Error 28 when I tried to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to 4.1, Please Help Me
    I have an iPhone 3Gs, it was running on iOS 4.0 so I upgraded it to iOS 4.0.1. I jailbroke it using JailBreakMe.com and unlocked it using ultrasn0w. Everything seem to be working perfect, except I was not sure if the unlock was working fine.

I then decided to try to upgrade to iOS 4.1. So I downloaded TinyUmbrella 4.1.5 to save my 4.0.1 SHSH blobs, and I did that successfully. I then went to Cydia to install spirit2pwn (as I understood this step is required before upgrading to 4.1). Suddenly, the phone froze and stopped working. I tried to put the phone into DFU mode, reboot it, or turn it on but nothing happened. Until now the phone not working. I tried to restore it using iTunes 10 by following the next steps:
    - I run TinyUmberlla and start the TSS server.
    - I run iTunes and press shift and click on restore in iTunes to choose the file that I want to use for the restore.
    - When iTunes verify iPhone restore with apply the following messages appear in TinyUmbrella:

First-Recovery Device Detected - iDevice
    Then- Recovery Device disconnected.

While the iPhone screen turns white after the software was extracted, after the last TinyUmbrella message, the phone turns off again and an error code (28) appears in iTunes.

I tried even to use iTunes restore and an error message appears indicating "The iPhone cannot be restored at this time becuase the iPhone software update erver could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable." I tried that many time at different days but the same message apprears.

The phone has an old bootrom 359.3

Please help me with any advise or tip that help me revive my iPhone. Thanks you for reading my long post.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

Your problem is from installing spirit2pwn on a jailbreakme device. To fix this error you are going to have to either let the battery die out completely which could take a week or so, or you can take the phone apart, remove the battery for about an hour then put it back in. You should be able to restore after doing this. For jailbreakme devices there is something similiar to spirit2pwn called jbkme2pwn I believe. That is the one you should have used.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

dr_sabr (2010-11-07)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Your problem is from installing spirit2pwn on a jailbreakme device. To fix this error you are going to have to either let the battery die out completely which could take a week or so, or you can take the phone apart, remove the battery for about an hour then put it back in. You should be able to restore after doing this. For jailbreakme devices there is something similiar to spirit2pwn called jbkme2pwn I believe. That is the one you should have used.
    Thanks x98car,

I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes,

Cheers,

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I don't know if the repo that carries jbme2pwn is up again, it's been down for some time now. Look into PwnageTool. If you don't have a Mac, you'll probably be able to find a custom fw for 4.1 made by Pwnagetool floating around on the web. Google

Just get the newest Redsn0w to set the device into DFU (this step is required, do not put into DFU without Redsn0w or you'll error out during the restore). Once the device is in DFU, exit Redsn0w and go to iTunes to shift+restore to a custom 4.1 fw.

If jbme2pwn is up again for download, then just install it shift+restore to a custom 4.1 fw created with Sn0wbreeze.

Hi x98car,

It didn't work. I took the battery off for more than two hours and then put it back and tried to restore the device again, using TinyUmbrella. However, unlike the previous attempt, apple's symbol showed up for few seconds and then I receive the same message in TinyUmbrella "Recovery Device disconnected" and the screen turns off. Error 1618 appears in iTunes!

Any suggestions or tips on what I should do?

Thanks,
    Last edited by dr_sabr; 2010-11-11 at 04:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You must have itunes atleaast 9.2 to 10 is fine.

Hi Yeow202,

I used iTunes 10 first, didn't work, then I used iTunes 9.2, and also it didn't work!!!

Can you get your phone into dfu mode with redsnow?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

dr_sabr (2010-11-12)

westonben, can you explain a bit further?

The phone now is not working, i.e. I can not turn it on. However, when I plug it into the USP cable, itunes detect it in recovery mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You need a restore , run redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to put you into DFU mode, you will need the stock 4.1 ipsw. Then shift + Restore to custom firmware created by pwnage tools. I have made up an activated 3gs custom 4.1 ipsw. I am going to give you the link in PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

dr_sabr (2010-11-12)

It sounds like it's in dfu mode already. Just run it through redsnow "just put phone in pwn'd dfu" but don't bother pressing the buttons when it tells you to, it should just add the exploit and then you will be able to shift restore to a custom firmware

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

dr_sabr (2010-11-12)

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    It sounds like it's in dfu mode already. Just run it through redsnow "just put phone in pwn'd dfu" but don't bother pressing the buttons when it tells you to, it should just add the exploit and then you will be able to shift restore to a custom firmware
    Thank you for the assistance and effort. I tried it though but it didn't work. After keeping the device on the cable for a while and trying several times to restore it back using TinyUmbrella again it finally worked.

Thank you all for your participation, suggestions, and assistance.

Cheers,