Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Options for upgrading iPhone 3G FW 3.1.2 BB 5.11.07

Default Options for upgrading iPhone 3G FW 3.1.2 BB 5.11.07
    Hi guys, I have been searching on the forum, and will continue to do but with so many FW (firmwares) and BB (basebands), its next to impossible to find something specific, but I have an iPhone 3g, it is running FW 3.1.2 and BB 5.11.07. What r my options on upgrading it to the latest and greatest? I was looking at a few sticky threads, and saw that I can upgrade it all the way to FW 4.0.2 using Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5. Is that right? Can anyone tell me which BB is un-lockable so far?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Check that sticky thread again. There's 2 PDF files in the Are You Jailbreakable guide. The one labeled "jailbreak guide 4.1" will tell you how to get to 4.1 and maintain unlockability.

I would recommend staying on 3.1.x. It's faster. But if you insist on going up, 4.1 has the best performance. You'll wanna use Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 to preserve baseband if you need to unlock. PwnageTool for Mac. On Windows you could download a custom fw made by Pwnagetool but you'll need Redsn0w to set your device into DFU first then shift+restore to the custom fw. I personally don't trust other people's custom fw as it can cause some problems so I like to make my own. So consider using Sn0wbreeze instead.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-06 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank you! Let me check that out.