Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help, updating my iphone4 ios4.0.1 to 4.1

Default Help, updating my iphone4 ios4.0.1 to 4.1
    I have a jail broken iPhone 4, with ios 4.0.1, and would like to upgrade to ios 4.1
    what would be the best way to upgrade without having to un-jailbreak my iPhone??
    I don't want to have to go through all the adding sources and re-installing all the apps I installed via cydia (ex mywi). I just wanna get the new upgrades to the camera app.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You will lose the jailbreak if you upgrade. There's no workaround for that. You can back Cydia things up with Aptbackup (not appbackup). You can upgrade to 4.1 after backing up your photos, contacts, etc then restore from back up to restore those things. Then jb with Limera1n or Greenpois0n. If you need an unlock, be sure to run TinyUmbrella's TSS server during the upgrade to preserve the baseband.

Running aptbackup after restoring from back up will reinstall your Cydia apps.

Note: it's highly recommended to not restore from back up. Manually installing everything is a part of that. Restoring from back up can carry over or create problems from the previous jb. But that's up to you.

FYI, I'm not asking about warez or anything like that. I just don't wanna have to reinstall every little tweak and app I currently have. Like (SBSettings, mywi, ifile, and all other non iTunes apps)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I didn't say you were asking about warez.

My previous post lays out your options. You can restore from back up and use aptbackup to reinstall all your Cydia apps/tweaks, but restoring from back up isn't recommended. Cuz it could cause problems. So if you set up as new, reinstalling everything manually is required. But if you want, you can try restoring from back up then running aptbackup after (of course run aptbackup before you upgrade to back your stuff up) will reinstall everything.

Ok thanks, so I guess I'm going to have to write down everything I have installed on my phone. I would rather do it the right way (long way) than to have performance issues by trying to do it the quick way. Thanks though. Is better to ask and get it right than to just hurry up and end up mad and frustrated later. At least there's a jailbreak. Last time I upgraded i didn't check to see if the jailbreak was out, and had to use an un-jailbroken phone for 2 weeks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yep. Just make sure if you need to maintain an unlock to run TinyUmbrella's TSS server to preserve your baseband.

No, I use AT&T, I'm one of the people who gets to keep the unlimited data plan, boy is AT&T not going to like me, I use my phone as a wifi hotspot all the time, and even have used it to tether my computer via USB and download a file over 1gig. Lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Lol ok great. Just don't go over 5GB of data, that's when they get all pissy.