Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G battery

Default 3G battery
    Hello everyone

Iphone 3g ios version 3.1.3 charge 100% if I use to surf internet with wifi and use apps the battery life last about 2 days HOWEVER when using the 3g with voice call the battery % drop a lot ie 10 minutes call drop about 15% your help/info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

It makes sense, when using 3g, if the signal is weak, there is more draw on the battery, I think this is normal and morever, it has been about 2 yrs now the 3g first came out. Maybe in the next couple of months , you will need to replace the battery.

Thanks

Yeow's right, actively communicating via UMTS (aka 3G) takes a LOT of power to transmit signal.

The most intensive mobile radio operation is a phone call, because your device must CONSTANTLY transmit and receive signals from the cell to keep the conversation alive; unlike data access, which only occurs periodically on an as-needed basis.

If your 3G is a couple of years old now (if the third character in your device's serial number is an 8, for example) and it's still on the same battery, you could also be suffering from a reduced-capacity battery (those guys lose somewhere between 15-20% total charge a year on average).

You can always try turning off 3G service temporarily if you're about to place a call to prolong battery life. I think there's a cheap Cydia tweak that'll toggle EDGE/3G for you automatically.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post

You can always try turning off 3G service temporarily if you're about to place a call to prolong battery life. I think there's a cheap Cydia tweak that'll toggle EDGE/3G for you automatically.
    you can turn 3G off/on easily using sbsettings which is free

I am in canada with Telus and must have the 3g on

---

the third character in the device's serial number is an 9, !!!