Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie looking to upgrade/unlock

Default Newbie looking to upgrade/unlock
    Hi all, I'm extremely new to all this and am looking for some advice... I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (only reason I've gotten this far is because of the ease of jalbreakme.com) currently on software 4.0.1 and am looking to upgrade and eventually unlock (taking a trip to Europe, would like to be able to plug in a SIM card while I'm there).

I'm just looking for some advice on how to upgrade... which program should I use, should I wait for 4.2, what should I use to unlock, etc.

Any advice is appreciated, I searched around the forums for quite some time but I wasn't 100% sure on what route to take, figured bugging you all with my own post was my best option. Many thanks!
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-11-03 at 07:44 PM. Reason: removing reference to pirated apps

I can't give you a guide because I don't have the phone 4, but if you upgrade you will need to use the tool the preserves your baseband. Upgrading without doing that will block you from unlocking. Also your apps data with be stored in your backups you just can't install them again until you jailbreak.

Also I would be careful throwing out certain words like a******** ; might get you in trouble. Also the fewer that use it the better.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to phatcamaro For This Useful Post:

aduke0783 (2010-11-03)

Cool, thanks for the advice... I'll try to do some more research on that (or if someone who knows about iPhone 4 could let me know, then awesome).

Thanks for the suggestion regarding site-that-shall-not-be-named... I see that it has already been edited out of my original post. Like I said, I'm new and besides not knowing how to jailbreak/unlock, I don't know all the forum rules (which I'm going to go brush up on now). Will be more careful in the future!

do you run a mac?

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    do you run a mac?
    I am on a pc.

Also, don't know if this matters at all, but was able to find my baseband version: 01.59.00

Thanks

you can use this to update to 4.1 and preserve your baseband for unlocking

download the 4.1 ipsw, open tinyumbrella, save your 4.1 shsh's, start the TSS server (make sure it says it's accepting connections), open iTunes and click shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) and point iTunes at your 4.1 ipsw, when the restore is almost complete it will give you a 1004 error (this means your baseband was not updated), use tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery, you will be on 4.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband, use greenpois0n or limera1n to jailbreak and install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock

you can also google a custom 4.1 made with pwnagetool and use the new redsn0w to restore the custom 4.1 and preserve the baseband

Holy cow... i've been following these types of threads, because i've got a 4.0.1 jb as well. I guess i'm looking for the single click version, because your instructions looks like a monkey sneezed at the keyboard to me.
    1st question: I'm assuming the 4.1 ipsw is the update via itunes?
    2nd question: What's tinyumbrella, and where do i get it?
    3rd question: What are shsh's, and where do i find them?

more questions will follow, but this should get a noob like me started. hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by jeepshots View Post
    Holy cow... i've been following these types of threads, because i've got a 4.0.1 jb as well. I guess i'm looking for the single click version, because your instructions looks like a monkey sneezed at the keyboard to me.
    1st question: I'm assuming the 4.1 ipsw is the update via itunes?
    2nd question: What's tinyumbrella, and where do i get it?
    3rd question: What are shsh's, and where do i find them?

more questions will follow, but this should get a noob like me started. hopefully...
    do you need an unlock?

Thanks for the advice, I'm fairly certain I can figure all that out with a little bit of work. I guess my only question now is should I just wait until the 4.2 update is released to do all this, or am I not missing out on much by going ahead and doing it now?

Thanks

the only thing 4.1 really has to offer is HDR and gamecenter, if you want to go ahead and update that's fine, if you can do without either of those i would probably wait

12. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

aduke0783 (2010-11-04)

I would get to the latest version because it can be jailbroken.