Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problems - Please help! (Failed jailbreak, data recovery)

Default Problems - Please help! (Failed jailbreak, data recovery)
    Both iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G. Looking to recover pictures and possibly music and apps on both. That is the number one priority for the 3GS, as it has very important pictures (over 700) and text docs (several hundred). There are no backups for either(Checked iTunes). Neither are in DFU mode.

iPod Touch was unlocked with blackra1n successfully. Running whatever firmware it came with. 3.1? It's tethered. All seemed to work well, on reboot it is stuck in recovery mode. Attempted to boot with blackra1n, froze on geohot. Still stuck in recovery mode.

iPhone 3GS was not jailbroken because it was too high of a version for blackra1n (3.2 I think). Tried to jailbreak with limera1n, seemed to work, on reboot, just froze on the apply logo. It will go into recovery mode, but will not boot and just freezes at apple logo.

Is there anything I can do or try to restore the data on the iPhone 3GS, even the iTouch, without spending a fortune/ruining my phone getting the data recovered manually? I've been looking all over Google for ways to take data from an iPhone while in recovery mode with no luck. My understanding is that the data is still on there, but it simply won't boot?

I greatly appreciate any input you have.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Have you tried using recboot or tiny umbrella to try and kick them out of recovery?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

aqt4 (2010-11-03)

I have not. Which should I try first?

Also, the 3GS is not stuck in recovery, I can get it into recovery with the buttons. The problem with the 3GS is it does not start, it just lags forever at the apple logo.

Edit: Only have a PC, trying tiny umbrella on the iTouch, will post if it works or not.

Edit2: Forced iPhone into recovery with buttons, took out of recovery with tiny umbrella. Held up at the apple, did not boot. Saved the SHSH, whatever that is.

iPod did not show up in tiny umbrella, tried several times.
    Last edited by aqt4; 2010-11-03 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks

Sounds like you are in boot loop for the 3GS. There is a way to get it to boot again but you would need a mac and a modified redsn0w to do it. Although not 100% it would work with your situation.

Is getting it to work again the only way to recover the files? I can't recover them while in recovery mode?

By the way, TinyUmbrella only sees the ECID(Dec) and ECID(Hex) for the iPhone, nothing else. No firmware, etc. Maybe I need to reinstall firmware? Is that possible without losing data?

Thanks

If you reinstall the firmware it will wipe all your data. For the ipod touch you can try searching for a blackra1n that was fixed to work with newer versions of itunes. That may be why you got stuck there. Just google for it then try running that to get it to boot. Leave it going for at least five minutes when doing it, it may take a while to boot even if it is working.

iPhone 3GS - was not jailbroken. It has firmware 3.2 - I was reading around, and limera1n only works with 4.x? Is that what went wrong? Or does limera1n work with 3.2?

iTouch - Was jailbroken, and tethered. Just retethered it earlier today before limera1in with the same iTunes.

Edit: Left it for almost 10 minutes, no boot.

by the way, I appreciate all the help
    Last edited by aqt4; 2010-11-03 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

There is no 3.2 firmware for iPhone 3GS. It went from 3.1.2-3.1.3-4.0 and so on. Limera1n only works on 4.0 and up.

What itunes version did you have?
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-11-03 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Newest with the new logo, got the .DLL error and moved the .exe to the proper directory.

I had 3.x definitely with the 3GS when I tried to do limera1n... now what? Like I said, the main thing I care about is file recovery, even if absolute worst case that means my phone has to be torn apart to get the data. (I'd like to avoid that option, though)

Thanks

Unless you can get them to boot up you may be stuck. If they are not getting far enough into the boot process to load the filesystem then you cannot get to your stuff. Have you tried any usb explorer programs to see if they show up when trying to boot? Also when was the last time you synced either one with itunes successfully?