Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: About to jailbreak an iTouch - some questions:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default About to jailbreak an iTouch - some questions:
    I tried to find answers to these questions with search and the FAQ, but didn't find specific answers. Please pardon my ignorance - I'm a total newbie about jailbreaking.

1. When jailbroken, will I be able to update apps that came from the iTunes store or download others?

2. If I jailbreak tethered (seems the only choice for my 2g MC 4.1 device), what will I need to do if it's been turned off or crashes? Will I need to re-jailbreak it each time, or something simpler to get it going again?

3. If I have to turn it on or come back from a crash, will I have to reload Cydia apps all over again?

Mahalo nui loa (Thanks very much in Hawaiian)

Thanks

1. yes everything with itunes will remain the same
    2. you will need to run the jailbreak each time you restart the phone (be it from a crash or you restarting it), there will be an option to just boot the device once you start the jailbreak program

3. no you will not have to reload the cydia apps after a crash (only after a restore)
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-11-03 at 08:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

jo-ro (2010-11-03)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, j3st3r.

That information makes me much more comfortable.

I'll search for an untethered jailbreak one more time, but unless something new has come out, it looks like the tethered snowbreeze 4.0.1 will be what I'll try tomorrow.

Dude . . . use Greenpois0n. Works untethered but the downside is it crashes all the time. With all that, I would advise probably downgrading to 3.1.3 or something that doesn't crash all the time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to T0X1CAT3D For This Useful Post:

jo-ro (2010-11-03)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the heads-up.

I see you have the same iTouch as I do. Which jailbreak did you use - and how often does it crash?

How did you get it untethered. When I tried Greenpois0n, it didn't j/b it.

Greenpois0n, works for me. First time I downloaded it, it was a total ***** for DFU until I re-downloaded and it worked for jailbreaking. every five minutes of doing something, it crashes and takes another five to boot up. Like I said, 3.1.3 until you get the new iPhone/iPod Touch like I will in two weeks
    Do you know the reason why???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T0X1CAT3D View Post
    Do you know the reason why???
    Clue me.

Gunna keep this one for a while, but I'd rather have a stable tethered j/b than an untethered one that's always crashing.

Lets see for the most obvious reasons, it will be slow no matter what. Simply because the programmers think that all the users have the latest version of the iPod Touch and in turn make the apps max out. That's my theory.