Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading 3G after jailbreak

Default Upgrading 3G after jailbreak
    Hello all! My first post here - I really hope someone can help me.

So, I got an iPhone 3G from a friend of mine. I am a current AT&T customer who doesn't want to pay for a data plan and just wants to use the phone WiFi (when available).

My friend left all of her stuff on it, trusting me to erase all the data/contacts/music/apps etc. In my haste to get it jailbroken, I didn't remove any of that stuff. (I manually went through the Contacts list, removing her contacts and importing my SIM contacts from my old phone, but that's about it.)

I deleted almost all of the old apps she used, but kept the ones I liked (and would be happy to re-buy through iTunes, if needed). I also downloaded/synced a few new apps from iTunes on my Windows 7 machine.

The phone was on OS 3.0.1. I used redsn0w and pointed to the downloaded IPSW for OS 3.0, then jailbroke it using ultrasn0w, which was successful. The phone works great and everything is right with the world...

...well, almost.

I would love to upgrade the phone to the newest possible stable OS so that I can use some of the newer apps that don't support my current 3.0.1 OS, and clear off all of the current information on the phone: contacts, calendars, messages, iPod songs and videos, apps - everything. Basically, I'd like to do a full reset so the phone is back to square one.

I have read elsewhere online that trying to do a Restore on a jailbroken phone can cause a lot of heartache - bricked phones, black screens, and so on.

Bottom line: is there a way for me to reset the phone, get it upgraded to a newer operating system, and re-jailbreak and re-unlock it? That would be my ideal situation.

Thanks for your help, guys!

I don't want to lead you in wring direction so anyone chime in if I'm wrong.

I believe you can just restore like normal to newest firmware. Then jailbreak using appropriate tool which redsnow should work, then follow the guide in the link to add a fake apn that disables the data on the phone. I did it for my moms 2G & it works perfectly; AT&T can't even tell she's using an iPhone. This should be easier than having to worry about unlocking, since your still with AT&T

How to Use an iPhone Without the Data Plan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Do not restore to a stock firmware of 4.1 if you need an unlock.
    You can restore to custom firmware of 4.1 created by Pwnage tools 4.1.2.
    OR
    You can create a Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw and make sure you uncheck the activate my iphone under Expert mode. You will need the official sim after the restore. Run Ireb 4.1 to put you into DFU mode and then shift + Restore to Snowbeeze_4.1.ipsw which is already placed on your Desktop when you created it.

Finally, install Ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

fireboy63 (2010-11-02)

I am fairly new to all this jailbreak/unlock business; since I'm an AT&T customer using an AT&T SIM card, do I need to unlock the phone? Or just jailbreak it?

You can restore to custom firmware of 4.1 created by Pwnage tools 4.1.2.
    Is it possible to make the OS 4.0.2 instead of 4.1? My understanding is that 4.1 hasn't been reputably jailbroken/unlocked by the dev team folks. (I'm very possibly wrong about this.)

I really appreciate the replies: if possible, Yeow202, can you give me a more step-by-step process for making this update, including any links to things I need to download? I hate to even ask, because I'm so thankful for the help you've already given, but I'd hate to screw something up and brick my phone on accident.

Thanks, guys!

Thanks

If you have a mac, use Pwnage tools to create a custom firmware first and it will be placed on your desktop. Then plug your iphone in, run Pwnage tools again, it will put your iphone into DFU mode and then Shift + restore to the custom firmware of 4.1. This method is to preserve your baseband.

If you do not need an unlock, you can restore to stock 4.1 first then you can also use Redsn0w 0.9.7 to put you into DFU mode and jailbreak it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

fireboy63 (2010-11-03)

If you have a mac, use Pwnage tools to create a custom firmware first and it will be placed on your desktop.
    I don't have a Mac (getting an iMac in a few months) - I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop right now.

If you do not need an unlock
    Again, do I? I am with AT&T, and that won't change any time soon.

You can restore to stock 4.1 first...
    Do I do this by just letting iTunes do it's normal update that it shows every time I plug my iPhone in to sync it?

...then you can also use Redsn0w 0.9.7 to put you into DFU mode and jailbreak it.
    Where do I find redsn0w 0.9.7 online? (Do you mean redsn0w 0.9.6b2? I can't find a 0.9.7 in Google.) And once it's in DFU mode (I still don't know what that means), how do I jailbreak it?

Sorry for all the newbie questions - I am SOOOO appreciating your help, yoew202! I'll hit 'Thanks!' 1,000 times if you can help walk me through this. Just remember: I'm fairly computer savvy, but very new to all this iPhone business.
    Last edited by fireboy63; 2010-11-02 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks

Ok, forget about the Mac part, use Windows
    I will give you an easier way, Download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and use expert mode , uncheck the activate my iphone, you have to download the stock 3g 4.1 as well to build the custom firmware.
    Once created it is on your desktop.
    Update your itunes to the latest.
    Run ireb 4.1 online mode to put you into DFU mode.
    Now Shift + Restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw
    Now you will be at Emergency screen
    Put your official sim to activate
    You are all set on jailbreaking at 4.1

You baseband is preserved, but it is ok, much higher value if you decide to sell.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-03 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

fireboy63 (2010-11-03)

Okay, I think we're making progress. I downloaded sn0wbreeze and the default 3G iOS 4.1 and did the whole process, which resulted in the modified IPSW file that sn0wbreeze kicked out (which was named sn0wbreeze_iPhone3G-4.1.ipsw).

Here is where I get confused:

Run ireb 4.1 online mode to put you into DFU mode.
    What is ireb 4.1? Do I need to download it? The last screen in sn0wbreeze says this:

Connect your iPhone 3G, and Enter Recovery Mode.
    After that, launch iTunes and Hold down SHIFT while
    clicking Restore button in iTunes.
    Is that what I want to do? Or do I need to go find this ireb 4.1 thing online?

Also, when you say "Shift + Restore", do you mean that, with iTunes open, I need to hold down Shift, click the Restore button, and then point iTunes to the sn0wbreeze ipsw I created?

And should I remove my SIM card when I'm doing the above steps? (You mention adding the SIM after I've done the ireb step is why I ask.)

Thanks again for the help and the prompt replies!

Thanks

You have to download ireb 4.1 from the same source iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones to get you to DFU mode or even Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 or 0.9.7 will also put you in a DFU mode
    You can leave your ATNT sim card in there.
    Yes, you do a Shift key + Restore in Itunes and browse to the Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw already on your desktop.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

fireboy63 (2010-11-03)

Wow...it's all complete now, and I couldn't be happier! This is SO COOL!

Thank you SO MUCH for your help in getting me squared away; I posted this same request on another iPhone forum, and I haven't gotten a single response on it yet in the 2 days it's been up there. With this forum, I had responses within a few hours, and a moderator who cared enough to keep coming back and answering all my stupid questions.

Speaking of stupid questions, a follow-up: is there anything I need to be aware of going forward? I can update iTunes, but should avoid any iPhone software updates, right? Because they'll mess up the jailbreak?

Once again, 10,342,577 thanks to you for your help - I'm extremely grateful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireboy63 View Post
    Speaking of stupid questions, a follow-up: is there anything I need to be aware of going forward? I can update iTunes, but should avoid any iPhone software updates, right? Because they'll mess up the jailbreak?
    not a stupid question at all, as of now you can update to the latest iTunes, as far as future updates, keep looking here before updating either iTunes or the phone itself, when it's safe to do either/both it will be posted here

16. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

fireboy63 (2010-11-04)

Should I try to follow this same process or is there another one for me.

3GS
    unlocked when 4.0 was out so I guess I can safely go there.

already jb from jbme.com & unlocked with sinful
    I have the orig sim, a tmo sim & new active att sim

We have been on tmo but switching to att go phone.
    I want to upgrade the firmware as far as possible and still jb & I want to unlock in case I want to go back to tmo. I want to keep all apps from itunes, cydia & installus.
    Last edited by jimates; 2010-11-04 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimates View Post
    Should I try to follow this same process or is there another one for me.

3GS
    unlocked when 4.0 was out so I guess I can safely go there.

already jb from jbme.com & unlocked with sinful
    I have the orig sim, a tmo sim & new active att sim

We have been on tmo but switching to att go phone.
    I want to upgrade the firmware as far as possible and still jb & I want to unlock in case I want to go back to tmo. I want to keep all apps from itunes, cydia & installus.
    I could have helped you but you did not read the forum's rules.
    No piracy talk on this forum , now it is too late.
    We cannot help you , you are on your own.

OK. I don't what part of that was about piracy, since all the info and directives to get my phone where it is came from this forum when I got the phone.

Thanks anyways for the previous help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Sinful, is what you mentioned, is related to piracy. We don't condone that and there is absolutely no help you couldn't found here about that specific item. If the item mentioned was unintentional, well, now you know.

Install.ous is also a form of piracy.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-04 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost