Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice please?

Default Advice please?
    Hi can someone please advise if an 8gig 3G can be jailbroke please, it's currently on 3.1.3 (7E18) and is an MB Model, and if so could I have details of best route, this isn't for me, it's for someone else, thanks in advance*
    ibiggy

Well at this point listen to what everyone says then come to your conclusions you have 3 main options

You need to ask questions BEFORE you continue

It really depends if you need the carrier unlocked, all firmwares at this time are jailbreakable and unlockable but 4.1 is not unlockable unless you use a custom brewed firmware(not iTunes)

Option 1
    Stay on 3.1.3 and Jailbreak and unlock with Spirit

Option 2
    Update to 4.1 and Jailbreak only(no unlock) at greenpois0n.com or limera1n.com

Option 3
    Create a custom brew of 4.1 so you can jailbreak and carrier unlock

Please state what option you would like to take so we can advice you accordingly

Please thank me on site if this info has helped
    Else ask questions

Thanks

I'd say use PwnageTool to jailbreak to 4.1 while maintaining your baseband and then use ultrasn0w to unlock.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Option 3 might not be possible, if you have shsh for 3.1.2 then it definitely is possible

Please ask questions so you don't get screw yourself over like so many other people have you have options but if you take the wrong option your screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    I'd say use PwnageTool to jailbreak to 4.1 while maintaining your baseband and then use ultrasn0w to unlock.
    I believe he is saying a custom brew of 4.1, if you update to 4.1 through iTunes you will update your baseband and make it not possible for unlock

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    I believe he is saying a custom brew of 4.1, if you update to 4.1 through iTunes you will update your baseband and make it not possible for unlock
    I suppose I am referring to a custom brew. I've never heard it called that before. PwnageTool obviously creates a custom firmware .ipsw to restore your iPhone with.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    Option 3 might not be possible, if you have shsh for 3.1.2 then it definitely is possible
    there are no shsh's for a 3G on 3.1.2, only 4.0 and above, you are thinking 3GS

If you don't need iOS4-specific apps, stick with 3.1.x firmware. IMHO, it p1sses all over iOS4.x. And you will actually have a Battery Life

Thanks to all for advice and input, will forward the info on, decisions decisions.
    ibiggy