Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi "technically" on

Default WiFi "technically" on
    I have a 2G iPhone with 3.1.3

I have 86400 in my com.apple.wifi.plist.

I have InsomniaPro 4.2-1.

My iPhone connects and works great on WiFi.

Though instead of WiFI actually disconnecting after like 30 minutes like what Insomnia is to prevent, something else happens.

The iPhone shows WiFI connected and SBSettings claims it has an IP address, but according to pings it's not connected and if you open Safari, it kills WiFI and re-connects.

I have tried resetting network connections and this is a fairly new jailbreak, not old and used.

Reset your router. I had a similar problem.
    mod edit/link removed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to akward silence For This Useful Post:

redpenguin (2010-11-01)

Default Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
    Reset your router. I had a similar problem.
    Thank you so much for your reply, I never would have imagined that it would have been my router's fault.

Though I see how it makes sense now and my iPhone 3G 4.0 was doing similar but it sometimes got a 169 address after a while, I guess because DHCP renew failed because it wasn't technically connected.

Anyway, so far it seems to be working like a charm, but I guess the iPhone 3G 4.1 works without Insomnia as suggested on another forum/post, which I have wished Apple had done since day one, but then again I use my iPhones as an iPod Touch, so you can see why.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redpenguin For This Useful Post:

akward silence (2010-11-01)

No problem, I had the same issues and nobody replied to me.

Fortunately my friend suggested the router and here we are

Glad I could help! Thanks for the thanks.
    mod edit/link removed.

Default np
    Yea, it's well over a half-hour, probably 45min-hour if not more, with the screen completely off and it's still pinging.

Now besides why the 2G can't take 4.0 if the 3G can, the only other thing I want explained is why allow SIP Phone Apps that for the longest time only allowed WiFi calls (I know many are allowed on 3G now), allow that if the WiFI turns off in 30 minutes when sleeping, cause who is going to leave the screen on forever, that would be fun battery life. LoL.

No wonder people jailbreak.
    Last edited by redpenguin; 2010-11-01 at 12:42 AM.

Hmm. If you are still getting problems, reset your modem as well.
    mod edit/link removed.

Default Thanks
    Thanks for that suggestion, though it's still working like a charm.

I almost was going to downgrade to 3.1.2 thinking how it worked there but not in 3.1.3.

Though, I already am block from iOS4 apps, don't want to be blocked from Apps that require 3.1.3.

That's for sure. Glad its working!

If it stops working again you can PM me for a quicker response. There are a few other things that can mystically go wrong and not allow you to connect.
    mod edit/link removed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

From my experience (3GS w/3.1.3) if the iPhone is connected to power and also in standby mode, and an active WiFi connection exists .... WiFi will remain on. However, when disconnected from power, WiFi will turn off and (of course) the connection will terminate.

Not complaining, in fact I like it this way. I can play around (ssh/WinSCP, etc) and not worry if the phone goes to sleep as long as it's connected to power.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-01 at 02:44 AM.

Default yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    From my experience (3GS w/3.1.3) if the iPhone is connected to power and also in standby mode, and an active WiFi connection exists .... WiFi will remain on. However, when disconnected form power, WiFi will turn off and (of course) the connection will terminate.

Not complaining, in fact I like it this way. I can play around (ssh/WinSCP, etc) and not worry if the phone goes to sleep as long as it's connected to power.
    I see exactly what you mean, and I can see how it can become helpful this rule.

I just wish Apple would have had some mechanism that said, "Hey the user is running a phone/SMS app, I better keep WiFi on" because even though you can keep it on USB, it's kinda funky when the phone's ringing and you are attempting to unplug it from USB, LoL.

I figure, unless I turn WiFi off in SBSettings or even normal Settings, I want it on.

So far it's been at least 2 hours and it's still working. Damn so glad to have it working after at least 2 weeks.