Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does Jailbreaking Void Warranty?

Default Does Jailbreaking Void Warranty?
    Does Jailbreaking void the warranty?

I use to have a jailbroken phone on my t-mobile servie on a iphone 3g, which I didn't care at all.

Then I decided to go with AT&T for the iPhone 4 and I was interested in jailbreaking it ( I know how to do it btw, I'm not asking how to do it).

I was wondering how does AT&T or APPLE know that it is jailbroken in case something happens to the phone that makes them say "We can't fix your phone because you jailbroke it".

I'm under the applecare plan by the way.(don't ask lmao)

Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

one word.
    no
    longer version
    make sure... if you ever take it to a apple shop. to restore it to stock FW, otherwise you're fine
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes it does. But they don't have to know. Usually a simple restore to factory settings will eliminate most traces of jailbreak. If it doesn't look jailbroken, they won't look further into it.

ok cool, so basically if i have problems just restore it completely where the jailbreak will be completely removed?

2nd question...

It's been a minute since I jailbroke, will it delete my apps? (i know u can back them up and whatnot just not patient at the moment lol)

Back up ur phone before jailbreak incase of anything going wrong tyen jailbreak with the appropriate tool. And it should not delete any of your apps just add cydia thats all

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Yes it does. But they don't have to know. Usually a simple restore to factory settings will eliminate most traces of jailbreak. If it doesn't look jailbroken, they won't look further into it.
    Well your wrong, Jailbreaking became legal this year

Second no it won't delete your apps when you sync, if your worried you can always right click on your iPhone when your connected in iTunes And click "Transfer Purchases"

Thanks everyone.

If i get tired of the jailbreaking scene and fw 4.2 is out (which is soon), I know this will eliminate the jailbreak.

Does this go back to factory conditions or will i still have to completely restore the phone to eliminate everything to prove that the phone was never jailbroken?

Damn not sure if I said this right lol... hopefully you guys understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dnbull View Post
    Thanks everyone.

If i get tired of the jailbreaking scene and fw 4.2 is out (which is soon), I know this will eliminate the jailbreak.

Does this go back to factory conditions or will i still have to completely restore the phone to eliminate everything to prove that the phone was never jailbroken?

Damn not sure if I said this right lol... hopefully you guys understand.
    1st Q= if APPLE SEES you have a jail broken phone because you DIDNT restore to factory, you WILL be screwed on you warranty. No ifs, ands or buts.

It's not illegal but Apple reserves the right to refuse a device that has been modified beyond the factory limitations. So that means they don't have to warranty a modded device, even Apple Care.

So if it's not for you and you want to go back to stock, do a full restore.

If you have apps-get Aptbackup or PKGbackup amd your apps get saved.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

NO

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post

Second no it won't delete your apps when you sync, if your worried you can always right click on your iPhone when your connected in iTunes And click "Transfer Purchases"
    Jailbreaking being legal wasn't the question asked, the question asked was if jailbreaking would void apple warranty. And yes jailbreaking would void your warranty and is in no way illegal.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I don't wanna be nit-picky but it's you're not your. Like ^ said, just cuz it's legal doesn't mean Apple can't refuse service.

Just because it is legal to jailbreak doesn't mean Apple can't come up with some reason to refuse service. It's obvious with some new firmware updates, they're trying to patch jailbreak and unlock exploits, which they successfully do for a period of time. If they are forced to acknowledge jailbreak's legality, all future firmware updates would be able to be jailbroken with our current tools. So it's obvious Apple doesn't approve of jailbreaking still. Whatever the reason they refuse service while you're under warranty, I guarantee you it's because they spotted your phone jailbroken. They don't have to say it out loud for it to be true.

Well yall r funny, my apple store in Texas will actually accept jailbroken iPhones cause when they get them they just restore them then send them back to apple and give you a new iPhone

I was once asked "who do you think came out with the jailbreak for the iPhones" by an Apple guy, he said the creators of the iPhone, that would mean that even the ppl inside apple agree that they should be able to jailbreak something that they payed over $100 for

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

A friend of mine broke the glass on his old 3g and he took it to the apple store where he purchased it and it was still under warranty so he called ahead and they said they would help him as much as they could, once he took his phone in an apple guy noticed cydia and immediately refused service.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's good for you and your store. But generally speaking, it's not gonna happen everywhere. So that piece of info should be recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    That's good for you and your store. But generally speaking, it's not gonna happen everywhere. So that piece of info should be recognized.
    Sorry, posted at the same time. This was for shanejoe's response.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-31 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well your wrong, Jailbreaking became legal this year ...
    Funny. And wrong!

Jb'ing (and unlocking) was specifically listed as not a violation of copyright this year.

Meaning it was NEVER a violation and ALWAYS legal. It took our government 4 years to get around to stating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Funny. And wrong!

Jb'ing (and unlocking) was specifically listed as not a violation of copyright this year.

Meaning it was NEVER a violation and ALWAYS legal. It took our government 4 years to get around to stating it.
    Well technically it is a violation to apple, what's funny is that if they refuse service they aren't voiding your warranty cause they don't write down your name or who u are thus u still have a warranty so just restore it and take it back the next day or use sbsettings to hide the hacks and mobile substrate addons to turn stuff off

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    A friend of mine broke the glass on his old 3g and he took it to the apple store where he purchased it and it was still under warranty so he called ahead and they said they would help him as much as they could, once he took his phone in an apple guy noticed cydia and immediately refused service.
    Couldn't u just tell them okay there is something wrong with the iphone can you restore it for me to see it the problem still persists knowing of course that it will, they'll probably say okay, them return it for an exchange, loop whole

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well technically it is a violation to apple, what's funny is that if they refuse service they aren't voiding your warranty cause they don't write down your name or who u are thus u still have a warranty so just restore it and take it back the next day or use sbsettings to hide the hacks and mobile substrate addons to turn stuff off
    Here's the issue......

Companies can say, or do, make rules, etc any way they want. Are they legal or a violation of consumer rights laws??

They company will always say their rules are legal .... but are they??

Almost always it takes a law-suit, lots of money and lots of time to decide. If it's too obvious or gets too much news attention, the company will sometimes relent.

Most consumers do not have the time, money, or will to challenge an unjust company rule and the government ignores little stuff. It usually takes a non-profit consumer rights group (like Freedom Foundation) to go the distance and get a ruling. Therefore, most unjust company rules never go away.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-10-31 at 07:09 PM.