Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting an unlocked iPhone 3G from 4.0.1 to 4.1

Default Getting an unlocked iPhone 3G from 4.0.1 to 4.1
    I have an older 3G iPhone with OS 4.0.1 (8A306) and baseband 05.13.04. When I got it it was not jailbroken and already had OS 4.0.1 installed. Since I use t-mobile in the US I needed to unlock it, for which I used jailbreakme.com + ultrasn0w. Previously I had a 2G iPhone which I always upgraded using custom firmwares by PwnageTool and restoring in iTunes.

I created a custom iOS 4.1 firmware file with PwnageTool but trying to install it itunes reports an error:
    The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An
    unknown error occurred (1604).

I understand baseband 05.13.04 is supposed to be jailbreakable, but since I used jailbreakme.com I don't seem to be able to install custom firmwares. What's my best option for getting to 4.1? Is there any way to back out the jailbreakme.com patch in order to allow custom firmware again? Or is there another path to jailbreak + unlock that would work for me?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Run iReb while you restore to the custom firmware to bypass the error.

If that doesn't work, downgrade to 3.1.2, jailbreak with redsn0w or blackra1n, then restore to the custom 4.1 firmware again.

I don't have access to a Windows PC, and it looks like the Mac port of iReb is dead, so I didn't pursue that option.

Downgrading to 3.1.2 was a good suggestion. I installed the stock Apple 3.1.2 image, then used redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak (still on firmware 05.13.04 of course). Reinstalled ultrasn0w from Cydia. Unfortunately I still get an error when trying to upgrade to a custom firmware file from PwnageTool. Hopefully 3.1.2 is an improvement over 4.0.1 anyway.

It would be nice to be able to upgrade to PwnageTool jailbroken OSes in the future but it doesn't seem possible for now.