Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: hacktivating a 4.1 3g?

Default hacktivating a 4.1 3g?
    I have an iphone 3g, just restored to 4.1. I have no sim for the phone, and don't plan on using one, I'm just going to keep it as an ipod for the car. anyway, since I restored to 4.1 (stupid idea probably) I can't get past the lock screen and need a way to hacktivate and jailbreak my phone. it appears that pwnage tool is able to do that, but I have only windows computers. I downloaded a custom hacktivated firmware from another forum and tried restoring through itunes, but (depending on which computer I use) I get error codes 1600 and 1601. Is there a fix, or is my best bet just to get on a mac asap? thanks a lot in advance for the help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 or Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 will hactivate it. Redsn0w seems buggier than Sn0wbreeze for 4.1, so try Sn0wbreeze.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

matdogg (2010-10-30)

awesome, thanks for the incredibly quick response.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No problem. Oh, I forgot to mention, if you're using Sn0wbreeze, get iReb and run it while you restore. It'll bypass any errors that might occur during the restore.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Annie , you have to tell him he cannot use Youtube and some syncing problem if he choose to hactivate. So be prepared to face these problems.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I figured he'd come back and ask if he did run into any of those problems

I actually haven't seen syncing problems yet, but YouTube can be fixed.

Thanks

Oh, is there a fix for youtube now ?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The YouTube fixes from Cydia.pushfix.info should work. Just heard it from like 2 people.

ok, after a couple of days trying I finally managed to jailbreak AND hacktivate it (jailbreaking seems to get more and more complicated all the time.) anyway, plugged it in to itunes, and "itunes could not connect to this iphone because an unknown error occurred. (0xE8000065)." is this the syncing problem you were talking about? a fix?

EDIT: itunes no longer gives error code, but says it could not back it up because a session could not be started with the iphone.
    Last edited by matdogg; 2010-10-31 at 05:24 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Your iTunes updated?

This is the first time I've seen a sync problem. Interesting...

I'd love to hear your advice Yeow. I'm sure you have more experience with this as I have none.

im on 10.0, updating to 10.0.1 now and we'll see how it goes. haha I'd love to hear your advice also.

I could only get Snowbreeze to work in simple mode with hacktivation. Expert mode gave errors in iTunes after restore.

ahah, that might be it, I used expert mode to make sure the hacktivation would work the second time around. okay, I'll try it again in simple mode then post back with the results.

Thanks

In order to get rid of this problem, you must unchecked activate my iPhone under general, but you will need the official sim to trigger from Emergency to Home screen, then once you unlocked it , your iPhone will be activated through your unofficial carrier
    OR
    Try this method : install reset carrrier settings from Cydia.pushfix.info , then take you sim out and put it back to see if that solves the problem
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-31 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hmm well that poses a problem too, I have no official sim. I actually dont plan on using this as a phone once I get it working, just an ipod basically. this is beginning to look grim. does redsnow really hacktivate? from the guides i've read, I havent seen anything saying it does.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ah ok well Redsn0w should do the trick to hacktivate if Sn0wbreeze isn't doing it. As a word of warning tho, redsn0w for 4.1 is quite buggy.

The new version of redsnow will work for you.

Alternatively, the version of redsnow for windows can put your phone onto a pwn'd dfu mode so it can accept custom firmware from mac Pwnagetool.

If you can't get redsnow to work pm me your email and I'll send you a link for an activated custom firmware.

alright, got it all sorted out, used redsn0w to kick it into dfu, then restored with a custom firmware with itunes. syncing is working perfectly. thanks everybody for the help.
    Last edited by matdogg; 2010-11-03 at 02:16 AM.

Excellent