Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I upgrade to 4.0 instead of 4.1

Default How do I upgrade to 4.0 instead of 4.1
    Hi, I have an iPhone 3G running iOS 3.0 and I want to update the firmware to iOS 4.0 not the current 4.1 - I've downloaded the 4.0 firmware directly but when I try to manually update in iTunes (shift+update->select firmware) I receive errors (3002 and 3194) that I can't update the firmware. Is there another way of doing it?
    Thanks.

I've tried manually updating / restoring with iOS 4.0.1 and I receive the same errors.
    Last edited by orion40; 2010-10-29 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Why do you want 4.0? you shouldn't go to 4.0 for 3g, Apple has acknowledged the mistake because of its slowness and lag, with the multitask, sometimes it could take up to 3 to 4 minutes just to open sms.
    If you want you should go for 4.1, as 4.1 has fixed the slowness and bugs of 4.0.
    If you need unlock, I suggest you download ireb 4.1 and snowbreeze 2.0.2 and create a custom firmware of 4.1. Run Ireb 4.1 first and then you will be ask to do the Shift + restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw which is placed on your desktop after you have built it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Why do you want 4.0? you shouldn't go to 4.0 for 3g, Apple has acknowledged the mistake because of its slowness and lag, with the multitask, sometimes it could take up to 3 to 4 minutes just to open sms.
    If you want you should go for 4.1, as 4.1 has fixed the slowness and bugs of 4.0.
    If you need unlock, I suggest you download ireb 4.1 and snowbreeze 2.0.2 and create a custom firmware of 4.1. Run Ireb 4.1 first and then you will be ask to do the Shift + restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw which is placed on your desktop after you have built it.
    I wanted iOS 4.0 because it's easier to jailbreak & unlock and I've done it already (on another iPhone) with success. The problem is - if I upgrade to iOS 4.1 on my 3G will my baseband get upgraded to 5.14.02?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you use Snowbreeze 2.0.2 to create a custom firmware and restore to it , it will preserve your baseband.

I am sure you jailbroke your 3G at 3.0 with Redsn0w. If you have the official sim card, then it will be much better.
    You download ireb 4.1 and download Snowbreeze 2.0.2. Uncheck activate my iphone while creating the custom fw.
    Plug your iphone in > Run Ireb 4.1 > It will help you to put it in DFU mode > Now do the Shift + restore to Snobreeze_4.1.ipsw which is placed on your desktop.
    Once restored , you are in Emergency Screen > Put your official sim to trigger it into Home Screen.
    Now install Ultrasn0w to unlock > your iphone is now activated.
    Your baseband will still be at 04.26.08 but jailbroken at IOS 4.1
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-30 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    If you use Snowbreeze 2.0.2 to create a custom firmware and restore to it , it will preserve your baseband.

I am sure you jailbroke your 3G at 3.0 with Redsn0w. If you have the official sim card, then it will be much better.
    You download ireb 4.1 and download Snowbreeze 2.0.2. Uncheck activate my iphone while creating the custom fw.
    Plug your iphone in > Run Ireb 4.1 > It will help you to put it in DFU mode > Now do the Shift + restore to Snobreeze_4.1.ipsw which is placed on your desktop.
    Once restored , you are in Emergency Screen > Put your official sim to trigger it into Home Screen.
    Now install Ultrasn0w to unlock > your iphone is now activated.
    Your baseband will still be at 04.26.08 but jailbroken at IOS 4.1
    The 3G (with iOS 3.0) in question has never been jailbroken. I don't have the original sim card but I have another from the same official carrier. I've run Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and created a custom firmware. Snowbreeze then tells me to put the iPhone into DFU mode(maybe it has ireb built in?). I just want to make sure: when I use ireb 4.1 then restore to snowbreeze ipsw that my 04.26.08 baseband will be preserved and not become 05.14.02 because a few people say it updates the baseband, but they could be doing something wrong.