Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking dangers?

Default Jailbreaking dangers?
    I have a jailbroken 4 and I love it, yet some people say they can get bricked or messed up? While others say this is not possible and a simple restore will fix any problem...?

You would almost intentionally have to try to brick a device completely. It may take time, but a restore will fix almost anything. The downside is if you mess up and have to upgrade you may not e able to jailbreak until a newer jailbreak tool comes out. Basically don't be afraid to jailbreak the pros outway anything bad; just read carefully & research before you do anything or install anythig and you'll be fine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

A jailbreak has not "bricked" a phone since the command line days 3 years ago. There are no risks. Like stated above.. if you run into any issues a simple restore will fix everything with the only risk being you might have to wait for another jailbreak down the road.

Thanks

I've yet to brick a phone in the 3 years or so I've been jailbreaking. However it did take me hours to fix my first 2g when I hosed it. But that was back in the command line days.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not tru! I bricked an ip4 running 4.1 as the shsh settings he'd not been saved in the cydia data base. My phones modem then wouldn't work! No restore fixed it and apple had to give me a brand new ip4!

Quote Originally Posted by djrampam View Post
    Not tru! I bricked an ip4 running 4.1 as the shsh settings he'd not been saved in the cydia data base. My phones modem then wouldn't work! No restore fixed it and apple had to give me a brand new ip4!
    If you bricked the phone and couldn't get back into it-how did apple just give you a phone? Just curious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Because the bios chip as it were in the iPhone became corrupt and therefor wouldn't take a fresh install of 4.1 therefore just gave me a brand new handset. There was nothing else apple could do.

Wouldn't jailbreaking and then bricking ur iPhone void the warranty? ;safe mode makes me freak out!!!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

5 iPhones all jailbreaks done by me, never bricked any. I think you'd have to be pretty talented to brick an iPhone. This could including smart moves such as yanking out the sync cable during a restore, during a jailbreak, or shutting the phone off during any of the two processes. That and installing things such as spirit2pwn or jbme2pwn on a new boot 3GS. Even then sometimes the phone doesn't brick up

I think it's just bad luck for those who have ever bricked their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickjudd View Post
    Wouldn't jailbreaking and then bricking ur iPhone void the warranty? ;safe mode makes me freak out!!!
    That's what I was getting at but I'm interpreting his response as they didn't bother to "get in it" there and just assumed he didn't jb it. Thus the new phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What I found out was because of the shsh blops wernt saved on the cydia servers when it came to jailbreakin the 4.1 update the modem couldn't communicate with the phone and therefore lost signal. Apple couldn't reflash 4.1 and because it was the latest software there was no way to overwrite 4.1.