Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: sorry to ask this again, but question about unlocking 3gs

Default sorry to ask this again, but question about unlocking 3gs
    ok so again a coworker of mine bought a 3gs back in august from someone who updated it to 4.0.2, well i knew he was way outta luck back then....well it's been awhile and he's asking me if he can unlock his phone yet...i said no unlock, but it dawned on me if his is still running 4.0.2, then he should be able to unlock it with one of the two jb that just came out right? i haven't physically seen his phone yet, but i'm guessing his baseband on 4.0.2 should be unlockable now right? or am i wrong...also he never saved any shsh blobs, so i can't update him to 4.1...but i can just run like greenpois0n or limera1n right over top of his current set up right? i mean i don't have to restore the phone first or do i? i know if i have to restore it, then he is definitely outta luck as far as an unlock since i'd have to update him to 4.1....thanks in advance...

Thanks

ignore previous post, I'm an idiot, my apologies lunercrab
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-10-27 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

J3st3r3, you forgot he has a 3gs.

Jailbreak your 4.0.2 with Limera1n and unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia.

Correct, do not restore to official 4.1, you will lose your unlock.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-27 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

oh yeah, well I'll be damned, my bad, I have got to quit reading these half asleep

Sweet so I can just run limera1n right over top of the current setup? Lol I'm so used to restoring first cause I usually wait for the jb to come out before I upgrade to the newest firmware. Thanks guys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunercrab View Post
    Sweet so I can just run limera1n right over top of the current setup? Lol I'm so used to restoring first cause I usually wait for the jb to come out before I upgrade to the newest firmware. Thanks guys
    as long as it's not already jailbroken, if it's already jailbroken just install the newest ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock

Livin the iPhone Life vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Well since OP's coworker was on 4.0.2, which was un-jailbreakable until limera1n, the phone is not jailbroken.

Ofcourse rest of the suggestions were right on.

i know this has been asked before but cant seem to find a definitive answer, Is it possible to hacktivate using Limera1n?

Thanks

yes it hactivates but i seem to remember reading it causing problems, i would suggest using official sim to activate then using limera1n

Thanks

Limera1n can hactivate without a problem, so you can go ahead and do that, it is only the snowbreeze hactivation that gives problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Limera1n can hactivate without a problem, so you can go ahead and do that, it is only the snowbreeze hactivation that gives problem.
    i went back and did some reading, limera1n/greenpois0n does cause problems with hactivation but it mostly pertains to Facetime/MiTime

Thanks

You are probably right ?

I was thinking about Youtube and syncing problems from Snowbreeze
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-27 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You are probably right ?

I was thinking about Youtube and syncing problems from Snowbreeze
    we are both right and the OP is more informed, it's a win win situation

yeah he has tmobile....i have an att sim that i can use to "activate" it that i used to use with my 3g when i had my 3g...hey when i used to use my 3g on tmo i used to download those tmo packs off cydia that would automatically install all the correct mms and internet configuration...do they still have those for 4.0.2? or is the apn function still unavalable? i guess i should find that out in the tmo section huh? he's bringing me his phone tomorrow, so i'll have to see what i can do for him...problem is, is he's a young foreign kid without a clue...he has no smarts with this stuff...last time i helped unlock and jb his older 3g back in july that he bought from someone, first thing he did was hook it up to itunes, click away and update his firmware locking out his phone again....so he's never going to know or understand about SHSH blobs, ect...so i know he's gunna wind up doing an update all over again no matter how much i tell him to NOT TO! sigh some people just think jb a phone is a simple and easy process, which it is to a certain degree, but you gotta follow the rules