Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unusual Excessive Battery Drain

Thanks

Default Unusual Excessive Battery Drain
    Alright. Here's one I haven't been able to figure out. Some assistance is needed (and is appreciated).

I've got an iPhone 4, running 4.1 jailbroken via PwnageTool. It's on baseband 01.59.00, the same instance of baseband firmware it came from the factory with.

The phone is hemorrhaging battery charge--we're talking 15-20 per cent an hour with Bluetooth and 3G disabled and 10-12 per cent an hour in Airplane mode.

Even after a fresh restore to a stock 4.1 IPSW (with TU to preserve baseband) it was still leaking juice.

What I know:

The battery is functioning correctly (as far as I can tell).
    There are no aberrant processes running on the main application core.
    Screenshot:

The device is currently running ultrasn0w 1.1-1, however, even without ultrasn0w installed, the device does not show any keypresses via SSH in minicom, nor does it respond to any AT commands, though it will respond to CTRL+A commands.
    Screenshot:

I believe there's a phantom/corrupt process or task on the baseband end. Has anybody else out there dealt with this, how did you deal with it, and does anybody know how to correct this issue without upgrading the baseband (I need the SIM unlock)?

Thanks in advance, fellas (and gals). Let's see if y'all can come up with something.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't experienced this or heard of it happening on any friends phones that are unlocked, but they all used TinyUmbrella and restored to 4.1 using it in order to preserve the baseband (for the iPhone 4). I can't think of anyone I know off the top of my head that used PT on the iPhone 4.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Orby (2010-10-27)

Thanks

did you restore from backup or setup as new when you did the restores, if it was from backup then that might be the problem, that is one of the possible side effects of restoring from the backup of a previously jailbroken phone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Orby (2010-10-27)

Thanks

Huh. I've had one friend who wasn't jailbroken, upgraded to 4.1 stock (including baseband) and then had this problem. His iPhone was determined at the Genius Bar to have a phantom RTOS process and was instantly replaced--hence why I wonder if I've got something similar.

He's the only person I know who owns an i4... anecdotes aside.

EDIT: I think I found it--offending RTOS task killed (pid "null", didn't relaunch, thank gosh) and the lack of a backup restore seems to have done the trick. A thousand thanks guys.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-10-27 at 05:01 AM.

do you have apps that require location finder to turn on in the background?