Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How much PIA is it to upgrade from 3.1.2 t latest firmware and carrier update?

Default How much of a pain is it to upgrade from 3.1.2 t latest firmware and carrier update?
    My 3GS running 3.1.2 and is jail broken with Blackra1n.

I also have MyWi and My3G installed. Want to keep these for the occasional internet access for my laptop and better downloads when on 3G network.

I wanna upgrade to the latest firmware so that I can download a few apps that won't run on my firmware.

Do I also have to upgrade the carrier settings? Should I upgrade those?

I don't want to loose anything especially older text msgs, contacts or apps.

How much of a pain is it to upgrade? What to use jailbreak again?

Thanks
    Last edited by tomfrazier; 2010-10-26 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Depends if you need an unlock or not.

If not it's easy enough, just upgrade and use limera1n or GreenPois0n to jailbreak. If you do then it's complicated, especially if you don't have access to a Mac.

Updating Carrier settings doesn't affect anything on the phone I think, you can do that without any worries.

Keeping your apps/data is another matter. Someone else will have to step in here as I have never bothered to backup stuff when upgrading

Maybe you licences for MyWi and My3G are not valid for OS 4.0. I'm not sure specifically for those apps, but some apps require a registration code, some work on the IMEI of the handset.

Old bootrom you can use snowbreeze 2.0.2 to go to 4.1 without much trouble, otherwise wait for the new snowbreeze (due anytime soon).

If you've got a MAC you can use pwnagetool 4.1.2 now to go to 4.1, new or old bootrom.

So let me get this straight. Limera1n, GreenPois0n and Snowbreeze 2.0.2 are all jail breaking programs?

How do I know if I have the old or new bootrom? Again I previously jailbroke with Blackra1n and currently have firmware version 3.1.2

My PC is running Win7. I sync with iTunes at least once a month and everything (well, I think everything) is backed up.

It is very important that I do not loose any contacts or old text messages. (Yes, I really need those old text msgs unless I can archive them because I may need to refer to them at a later date )

Anyone?
    Last edited by tomfrazier; 2010-10-27 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok, since you are jb with blackrain you can tell if you are new/old bootrom easily. Blackrain was a tethered jailbreak for the new bootrom, this resulted in the phone being needed to be rejailbroken everytime it was powered off.

If you are new bootrom then I would wait for the new Snowbreeze to be released. Though it is actually possible to use the existing Snowbreeze on a new bootrom on 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackrain.

I will assume you are on old bootrom. The instructions are very simple. Download sn0wbreeze from ih8sn0w.com and also the stock firmware for 4.1 from apple. Run it through Snowbreeze to create a custom firmware. Start iTunes, click your iPhone on the left side of the screen, hold shift and click restore and browse to the firmware you just created. iTunes will update your phone and it will be jailbroken already. When iTunes detects it again it will you if you want to restore from backup. Click yes and your stuff should come back on. Check settings iTunes to make sure it is backing up contacts beforehand and do a sync/backup before starting any of this. I don't believe it will restore old messages.

Do you need hacktivation or do you have an original carrier sim to activate it?

The reason for asking is that Snowbreeze can hacktivate your phone but it's a bit buggy. If you require hacktivation then I would find a firmware file on the Internet to restore to instead. Preferably Pwnagetool created 4.0

I JUST REREAD THIS THREAD, you haven't told us if you need to Unlock your phone? Instructions could be simpler if unlock not required.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-27 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

tomfrazier (2010-10-27)

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Do you need hacktivation or do you have an original carrier sim to activate it?

The reason for asking is that Snowbreeze can hacktivate your phone but it's a bit buggy. If you require hacktivation then I would find a firmware file on the Internet to restore to instead. Preferably Pwnagetool created 4.0

I JUST REREAD THIS THREAD, you haven't told us if you need to Unlock your phone? Instructions could be simpler if unlock not required.
    Hi westonben,

Not quite sure what you mean here I have always been with ATT and the SIM is the original that came with the phone when I bought it from the Apple Store.

I don't think I need to unlock my phone because I don't plan on switching carriers any time soon. I have a 26% corporate discount through my employer and is the only carrier that has good reception where I work.

Any other help you can give is much appreciated.

To everyone else...

I installed SMS2Mail and emailed all my important text messages to my email and then copied them to Word. So I am no longer concerned about loosing them.

Ok, easy then. Just upgrade through iTunes and jailbreak with limerain or greenpoison when done. Easy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

tomfrazier (2010-10-27)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Always update the carrier settings if you are told too, regardless of official carrier or not.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

tomfrazier (2010-10-27)